good book? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2014, 03:51 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default good book?

Can you recommend a good book for new players?

Mainly solid state amplifiers and a bit about power supply?
Old 7th November 2014, 04:14 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Bob Cordell's and Douglas Self's. I'd think Bob's would be easier to digest for new players but I wouldn't know for sure.
Old 7th November 2014, 04:28 PM   #3
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

As above. Dougs books are certainly available from UK libraries too. Just ask and order.
Old 7th November 2014, 06:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

How new? I think Douglas Self's book is a quite a bit too complex for total newcomers. It says right in the book that it is directed towards professionals trying to design actual commercial products. Might want to read up on some (a lot, actually) electronics basics first.
Old 7th November 2014, 06:33 PM   #5
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Good point. Horowitz and Hill, The Art OF Analogue Electronics is a good standby. Libraries again ? They used to have this one. Its very comprehensive, lol and very expensive

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Electron...owitz+and+hill

Some of Doug Selfs earlier power amp books were perhaps a bit more readable for a newcomer to the subject. Should be available.
Old 7th November 2014, 08:08 PM   #6
forr is offline forr  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome View Post
How new? I think Douglas Self's book is a quite a bit too complex for total newcomers. It says right in the book that it is directed towards professionals trying to design actual commercial products. Might want to read up on some (a lot, actually) electronics basics first.
Too complex ? Provided you have the basic notions of op-amps and BJTs, Douglas Self's style of writing is very clear.
The circuits he shows are simple, the cheapest for what they do with this level of objective performances; that is the best you can find.
Old 7th November 2014, 10:54 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Like, 2 weeks new
Old 7th November 2014, 11:03 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I just read about 200 pages of Cordell. I would say that's the book to read. This book is suitable for both entry level and advance level. It explain very useful information without bogged down with long equation or derivation so beginners can take his word and learn. For advanced people, this is the best book I've seen in giving the insight as the other books I've studied are a lot heavy with equations and theory, but not giving the detail effect and conclusion like Cordell. I studied a lot of books in electronics, this is one of the best.

For serious studying, you might want to get a more introduction book that derive a lot of the formulas. I actually consider this is an advanced book, I actually had to refer to " Analysis and Design of Analog Integrated Circuits" by Paul R Gray and Robert Meyer to refresh and verify the theories and equations. But as I said, the beautiful thing is even if you are a beginner, if you are willing to take it on face value, you can learn a lot even bypassing all the difficult formulas. I did not study the whole book, but in the over 200 pages I read through, I yet to find anything questionable yet.

Last edited by Alan0354; 7th November 2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 8th November 2014, 12:31 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

You can sample most books on sale anyway. Amazon's sites are good for previews and Douglas Self has some articles which form the basis of his book, on his website. e.g. Distortion In Power Amplifiers.
As others are saying, you don't have to use the mathematical proofs and detail to read and understand the principles. They there for completeness in many cases.

Hide this!Advertise here!