Problems with Boston gt-24 car amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2014, 04:03 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Problems with Boston gt-24 car amp

This is what happened.

I received my order with the new power supply fets, diodes, and resistors and put them them in (I carefully used the tip of a soldering gun that I made flat and sharp). Initially, the amp would just blow fuses and I found some bad fets.

I went to power the amp up on low voltage and it seemed okay so far so I went to the full 12 and one of the new power supply fets heated up and part of the package flew across the room. The resistor in series with the gate was burned as well.

Later on, I thought I would try diagnose why that happened and curiously applied power with the blown fet removed while carefully monitoring the temps. Well the amp started up and seemed to run absolutely fine and played music pretty well.

I then took an old fet that didn't seem shorted and held it in place.. It buzzed and heated up very hot very quickly and drew a load of current. I grabbed another old one (I dont know if it's good or not or how to really test that) and held it in place and well with not really any noticable difference, the amp kept running and no overheating or excessive current draw.

I don't really know if maybe I just got a bad new fet or what really happened so I was hoping that somebody could explain what they think... Also, should I just put in an old fet that seems to work? Or is it possible that it'll be really weak or something and that it would be worthwhile to pay for shipping another and waiting for it?

Hide this!Advertise here!