Vintage Receivers for BiAmping F.A.S.T setup - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2014, 07:09 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Vintage Receivers for BiAmping F.A.S.T setup

Vintage Sansui and Marantz 2252 for bi amping?

Hi guys, I have a vintage Sansui AUD607G that gives out 60wpc in 8ohms and a Marantz 2252B that gives out 50wpc in 8 ohms.

Both of them have pre-outs and main ins.

I'm building a Full range Open Baffle Speaker with an Audionirvana 6.5" and I'm currently mulling over adding a helper woofer (8" or 10" driver) in an enclosure.

Active crossover will be managed via a MiniDSP 2x4 unit for any room and eq issues.

Got a few questions though:

1.) Can I use these vintage receivers as a preamp for the MiniDSP and for bi-amping the FR and the helper woofer?

I'll be using the Sansui Preamp outs > Mini DSP in > Amp Main ins.

I'm thinking Sansui > Low Woofers and Marantz > Full Range Speaks

2.) Will I need a separate passive attenuator or volume control in between the MiniDSP outs and the Main Ins of the amplifiers? If yes, got any cheap recos for these?

3.) Any things I should watch out for?

Thanks!
Old 7th November 2014, 07:34 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampants View Post
Any things I should watch out for?
The aberrations introduced by the double AD/DA conversion !?!?

Question: doesn't the DSP allow to control the level ?
OH! It must be that loss of dynamic due to the bit reduction (or something like that ) a.k.a. resolution.

Maybe... the AN can stand the power on the very bass notes though it could not reproduce them, so just a passive line level crossover > change the input cap of the amp driving the AN( from 0.01 to 0.1 uF )
and develop a stereo low pass with a quad IC such a TL 074. Little "trimmers" or vol. pots allow for fine level adjustements and once you set the right levels & gain stages you'll just need the master volume control of your preamp.
Old 7th November 2014, 07:53 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picowallspeaker View Post
The aberrations introduced by the double AD/DA conversion !?!?

Question: doesn't the DSP allow to control the level ?
OH! It must be that loss of dynamic due to the bit reduction (or something like that ) a.k.a. resolution.

Maybe... the AN can stand the power on the very bass notes though it could not reproduce them, so just a passive line level crossover > change the input cap of the amp driving the AN( from 0.01 to 0.1 uF )
and develop a stereo low pass with a quad IC such a TL 074. Little "trimmers" or vol. pots allow for fine level adjustements and once you set the right levels & gain stages you'll just need the master volume control of your preamp.
Thanks for the reply.

Its just for a secondary setup so I not much critical listening will be done and audio levels are quite low, just got an itch to scratch to use the miniDSP and want to experience it via a MiniDsp 2x4. At its price, its inexpensive enough to allow experimenting.

I'm also leaning on just using dual active subwoofers if this bi amping thing is too tedious.

Thanks
Old 12th November 2014, 02:50 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Bump

Hide this!Advertise here!