Determining current flow - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2014, 11:32 AM   #1
akis is offline akis  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Determining current flow

Hello

I have attached two circuits below. The purpose is to use a SENSE resistor to monitor current flow into a variable load, shown as LOAD. The LOAD can change from around 50R to 200R. The SENSE resistor is 1R or 2R. The voltage developed on the sense resistor is (a) referenced to ground, (b) amplified and (c) rectified to produce a DC monitor voltage (not shown here).

As you can see the LOAD is fully floating with respect to GROUND as far as the differential op-amp is concerned.

In addition the voltage is a pure sine wave at 70V peak (140V peak to peak).

When I tried the circuit shown in the first picture, the op-amp cannot cope and inverts etc. Another op-amp I tried (a high voltage FET op-amp) blew up.

I then used the circuit in the second picture which works fine.

The problem is I was hoping that the single stage op-amp would be able to do two things at once: (a) refer the SENSE voltage to GROUND and (b) amplify it.

However the circuit in the second picture only achieves (a) ie refer to ground. I then need another stage to do the amplification.

Could anyone suggest a better way of doing this?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HighVoltageDiffAmplifier-1.jpg (36.1 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg HighVoltageDiffAmplifier-2.jpg (35.9 KB, 126 views)
Old 4th November 2014, 11:50 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Maybe this way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter_08 Nov. 04 06.49.jpg (26.4 KB, 123 views)
Old 4th November 2014, 12:11 PM   #3
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Is the measuring circuit connected to mains earth at all? And what about the source? You probably need to make the measuring circuit fully floating as you may be exceeding common mode input voltage.
Old 4th November 2014, 12:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

There are a few options.

One is to use a high-common-mode input voltage opamp like the INA117. Its inputs can float up/down 200V or so, while still amplifying the differential voltage across the sense resistor.

Second option is to use a dedicated current sense amplifier - these are specifically designed for these applications, and several have a calibrated sense resistor inside their package.

Jan
Old 4th November 2014, 02:29 PM   #5
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

LT have a video explaining the advantages of their fairly new opamp 6016 that can be used for low side or high side current monitoring.

6016 looks like a very useful opamp.
Old 4th November 2014, 02:31 PM   #6
Ketje is offline Ketje  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Perhaps you can use a Norton amplifier ?
Have a look at this (page 13)
Mona
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LM3900-norton.pdf (682.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 4th November 2014, 02:47 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

At that frequency u can use a current transformer which will isolate the amplifier from the current in the circuit u want to measure. I use Pulse P820X and find it very accurate.
Old 4th November 2014, 02:59 PM   #8
akis is offline akis  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the ideas, which I need to digest. I have a question though. Looking at the first picture, the voltages that the op-amp sees at its inputs with respect to the earth, are around 300mV/500mV and with respect to each other input they peak at around 800mV.

I do not understand how the op-amp has an issue with that. The problem is solved by raising the rails to around +/-20V, which also indicates that the op-amp inputs, somehow, are seeing large voltages.

But how?
Old 4th November 2014, 03:16 PM   #9
Ketje is offline Ketje  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akis View Post
Thanks for all the ideas, which I need to digest. I have a question though. Looking at the first picture, the voltages that the op-amp sees at its inputs with respect to the earth,are around 300mV/500mV and with respect to each other input they peak at around 800mV.

I do not understand how the op-amp has an issue with that. The problem is solved by raising the rails to around +/-20V, which also indicates that the op-amp inputs, somehow, are seeing large voltages.

But how?
Were do you see that ? LOAD and SENSE are floating = undefined voltage.
Mona
Old 4th November 2014, 03:22 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
LT have a video explaining the advantages of their fairly new opamp 6016 that can be used for low side or high side current monitoring.

6016 looks like a very useful opamp.
Indeed, the LT6016 is almost a no-brainer for this.

Jan

Hide this!Advertise here!