Does bridging ever provide power more than 2 times

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
why will the curent half if you are keeping the load the same and double the voltage?

If you run a 2V signal into a 1ohm load, you would get 2 amps and four wats out from that configuration.

If you double the voltage, you would now get four amps flowing in the same 1ohm load (at 4V) and hence 16W of output power (four times the original 4W).

Frank Berry said:
Because the impedance doubles. Power output is halved.
Instead of each amp delivering 100 watts, each amp delivers 50 watts.
Frank, I'm sorry.....

Frank consider this:

Amp 1 +50 V out peak

Amp 2 -50 V out peak

How much total voltage do you get between these outputs? Correct, 100 V peak

==>> Double output voltage

In theory you get 4 times the power but not in real life because of limitations in current and power dissipation.

==>> A 100W, 4 ohms amp delivers 170-190 W at 8 ohms if you bridge connect them

Mr amp_man, did you say that you had long experience :confused: This is basic knowledge I think. The answer is in theory you will get 4 times the power, in real life 2 times approx.

Sometimes it can even be a little MORE !

If you drive both channels with a mono signal then the same half of the PSU is loaded by both channels at the same time (since the power-hungry bass parts of the signal are in mono as well this counts also for stereo to some extent). If you bridge the amp, both halves of the PSU are loaded at the same time, causing a little less voltage drop, resulting in a little increased output power.

I made one channel inverting on an amp that I once built (Having read that this was done within the Carver cube).

When you come across reviews of the Belcano Evo amp (using Tripath technology), many reviewers seem to prefer two bridged ones over a single one in stereo and not only for increased power. Maybe there are improved sonics due to less supply pumping.

I remember also statements from P.A. people, saying that bridged amps had a little more headroom.

Regards

Charles

100W in 2R means 14V (RMS) and 7A (RMS)

Now if you bridge them on a load, you will double the voltage swing but the maximum current will stay the same (since the 2 amps and the load will be in the same loop)

So, max output is 28V (RMS) and 7A (RMS)

28V in 4R is 200W
7A in 4R is also 200W

The 2 results are the same, you'll get 200W (if the results differ, the power will be the smallest one)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.