super basic ab amplifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oh, PLEASE!!!
Do NOT recommend anything from Red Circuits pages, the repository for the worst designs on the Net.

That amp, like most others there, is an unstable nightmare.

EDIT: LM1875 or TDA20xx is a great way to start.

Excellent sound, guaranteed to work, tons of designs using them all over the Net, what's not to like?

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
....Do NOT recommend anything from Red Circuits pages, the repository for the worst designs on the Net......
Really? A young friend built a pair of those with the bass boost feature disabled, some time back - still fine from the first power-up as far as I know.

However, as the OP is looking for something to play with, I get the sense that chipamp apps won't be what he wants.

Who wants to build a chipamp?!

Here is a simple design with a bare minimum parts that I have not yet tested but should work fine.

The 2SK3320 is a dual device surface mount package, available from a number of suppliers. But if you are bread boarding you will find it easier to work with TO92 packaged JFETs instead.

Add an input cap if your source has any DC.

Attachments

• VS-LATFET.png
    VS-LATFET.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 479
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Yes, I'm not so sure a PC supply is an ideal starting point either. Half an amp will actually get you quite a long way but how abuse proof is the supply. That would be my worry.

If its all you have then I would say OK, but make sure you fuse the outputs and accept its limitations.

There's always D Selfs blameless. It's a typical 3 stage design thats relatively simple, reliable, good sounding, proven. It's scalable, it should still work at lower powers. And an entire book written about it. If your looking for an education, this would be the one to build.

None of them, unless they were made to power an audio amplifier. A basic split rail power supply for a 10 watt amp can be made from a 25.2VCT 2 amp transformer, a bridge rectifier, and two 4700uf 25V caps. Buy all that surplus and you won't have $20 in it. And it will work to power either a small Blameless or an LM1875-based chip amp. Here's something I cooked up 20 years ago, for exaclty that power supply. Should be ok - it's been re-drawn from memory. Used it for years and years - it replaced one based on the old Philips design. Not the most basic thing you can build but it has everything you'd need and bulletproof... if the drivers and bias stack are thermally connected (epoxy all 3 TO-92's to a small piece of aluminum). That arrangement is easier to breadboard than the usual EF2 outputs where you need a common heatsink for the outputs, drivers, and bias stack.

Attachments

• microamp.PNG
    microamp.PNG
    56.8 KB · Views: 233
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.