behringer gx110 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2014, 12:19 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default behringer gx110

Hi

A friend of mine brought a Behringer GX110 amp and asked me to fix it. When he turn on the amp, the amp works perfect. When using the amp for quite a long time, the sound becomes intermittent. It comes on then goes off, on then off. Can someone let me know, what can be the problem. I do not have a schematic. Does anyone has?. Please assist.

Thanks

Carlosraj
Old 16th October 2014, 12:41 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Faulty soldering points.

These appear most often at the jack inputs and outputs.
Old 16th October 2014, 12:43 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

It seems like thermal protection circuitry is being triggered - perhaps for valid fault or damage reasons or perhaps as Tattoo suggests. You could try this site, though the free registration apparently requires credit card validation to prevent copyright breaches in some countries:
Behringer Ultraroc GX110 Manual
Old 16th October 2014, 11:25 PM   #4
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

First suspects are jacks.

Plug a spare cord from FX send to FX return, this creates an external bypass on the loop. ANy change?

The external speaker jack has a cutout contact for the internal speaker. Connect some speaker to the external speaker jack. Does it work reliably?

The headphones jack has a speaker cutout contact as well. Do headphones work? Does poking a plug into the phones jack try to wake up the speaker?

Internally there are some ribbon cables connecting the various sections together, or if not ribbons, SOME sort of cabling. I'd pull each one partly off and then push it back on to refresh the contact surfaces.

Certainly it could be something electronic, but in my experience, mostly what you describe is caused by the things I mentioned.
Old 17th October 2014, 12:50 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
First suspects are jacks.

Plug a spare cord from FX send to FX return, this creates an external bypass on the loop. ANy change?

The external speaker jack has a cutout contact for the internal speaker. Connect some speaker to the external speaker jack. Does it work reliably?

The headphones jack has a speaker cutout contact as well. Do headphones work? Does poking a plug into the phones jack try to wake up the speaker?

Internally there are some ribbon cables connecting the various sections together, or if not ribbons, SOME sort of cabling. I'd pull each one partly off and then push it back on to refresh the contact surfaces.

Certainly it could be something electronic, but in my experience, mostly what you describe is caused by the things I mentioned.

Thanks, I will try all your suggestions as well as those from Ian and Tattoo
Old 24th August 2015, 10:16 PM   #6
fredy2 is offline fredy2  United States
diyAudio Member

Default I have seen an intermittent failure

of the ribbon cable connections of the wide cable in these units. As it warms up one of the connections breaks. Cycling power often temporarily repairs it.

Hide this!Advertise here!