Gain Issue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have recently gone mono block and passive pre amp route and whilst I am very happy with the results it as caused a moderate gain issue .

My moving coil is very low output ( 0.12mv ) so whilst the desired volume is okay for most occasions i would like to increase the volume for those rare occassions when i am home alone .

a Cambridge 640p feed the passive pre amp. I will shortly be replacing the cartridge and the phono amp , so i need a temporary solution .

does anybody know of a quick mod i can do the phono amp to increase the gain . changing a resistor or capacitors for example ?

thanks for any help .

p.s - I am a numpty and would appreciate if you could identity said part that requires changing based on my level of ignorance ;)

Last edited:
Joined 2011
My moving coil is very low output ( 0.12mv ) so whilst the desired volume is okay for most occasions i would like to increase the volume for those rare occassions when i am home alone . does anybody know of a quick mod i can do the phono amp to increase the gain . changing a resistor or capacitors for example ?

It is said that adding 18 or 22 Ohm resistors in positions R82 and R49 will increase gain by 6dB. The sound may suffer, though.
If you wish to try this, I would solder receptacle pins in these locations, so you can plug and unplug resistors there. Be sure that your power is off.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.