Roksan Kandy Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I just built myself one of Rod Elliott's preamps (pics etc. to follow soon), and went to test it with my Roksan Kandy. However, when I had a play around with it, I realised that the volume control on the Kandy was still functioning. Is it common for volume control to take place after the preamp stage? Is it possible to bypass it somehow so that I can use my preamp control only? If the Kandy volume control must remain, should I just ditch the volume control from my preamp?

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Mike.

For everyone's information, the Kandy is a 'mid'-priced British integrated amp. http://www.kandyline.co.uk

Normal CD players don't have an analogue volume control, and with more than one source Mike definately needs a pre-amp.

Sounds like you hooked it up wrong Mike, if the volume control is still working!! But that also sounds impossible, so maybe the Kandy's pre-amp and power amp are oddly seperated by the sockets ie. input selection and buffer etc are one thing, then the volume control comes at the end of the preamp, after its loop-through sockets.

So ditch the volume control on your new one for now, and also try a source straight into the Kandy power section :)
(and negate the new preamp in the process!!)

Is it sounding good?

Is there a pre-amp bypass?

If you are using the output of a separate pre-amp into an integrated amp's source inputs of course the signal is going to go through the integrated amp's pre-amp section(and volume control). The only way to avoid this is to send the separate pre-amp's signal directly to the Integrated amp's power amp section ....but I doubt that this Integrated amp has such a bypassing input...or does it? An integrated amp with an active pre-amp DOES NOT call for a separate pre-amp. Why bother? But something with a 'passive' pre-amp sectio like the also British Creek amp COULD use a separate active pre-amp. But you do not have to include another volume control on your homemade active pre-amp. Just make it a gain booster-stage between your source and your passive-pre integrated amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.