Roksan Kandy Preamp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2004, 03:50 PM   #1
filmo is offline filmo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Post Roksan Kandy Preamp

Hi All,

I just built myself one of Rod Elliott's preamps (pics etc. to follow soon), and went to test it with my Roksan Kandy. However, when I had a play around with it, I realised that the volume control on the Kandy was still functioning. Is it common for volume control to take place after the preamp stage? Is it possible to bypass it somehow so that I can use my preamp control only? If the Kandy volume control must remain, should I just ditch the volume control from my preamp?

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Mike.
Old 18th January 2004, 04:06 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
should I just ditch the volume control from my preamp?
Great idea. As a next step you can ditch the preamp as well. Bet the Kandy (whatever that is) will sound better on its own.
Old 18th January 2004, 05:31 PM   #3
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
For everyone's information, the Kandy is a 'mid'-priced British integrated amp. http://www.kandyline.co.uk

Normal CD players don't have an analogue volume control, and with more than one source Mike definately needs a pre-amp.

Sounds like you hooked it up wrong Mike, if the volume control is still working!! But that also sounds impossible, so maybe the Kandy's pre-amp and power amp are oddly seperated by the sockets ie. input selection and buffer etc are one thing, then the volume control comes at the end of the preamp, after its loop-through sockets.

So ditch the volume control on your new one for now, and also try a source straight into the Kandy power section
(and negate the new preamp in the process!!)

Is it sounding good?
Old 21st January 2004, 06:47 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Is there a pre-amp bypass?

If you are using the output of a separate pre-amp into an integrated amp's source inputs of course the signal is going to go through the integrated amp's pre-amp section(and volume control). The only way to avoid this is to send the separate pre-amp's signal directly to the Integrated amp's power amp section ....but I doubt that this Integrated amp has such a bypassing input...or does it? An integrated amp with an active pre-amp DOES NOT call for a separate pre-amp. Why bother? But something with a 'passive' pre-amp sectio like the also British Creek amp COULD use a separate active pre-amp. But you do not have to include another volume control on your homemade active pre-amp. Just make it a gain booster-stage between your source and your passive-pre integrated amp.

Hide this!Advertise here!