Ultra-high performance, yet rather simple - hybrid and more! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th September 2014, 10:08 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to vzaichenko
Lightbulb Ultra-high performance, yet rather simple - hybrid and more!

OK, this one deserves a separate thread, I believe.
It incorporates a lot of experience gained during the last year or so with simulations, prototypes, measurements, listening, etc.

Though, this one is not prototyped yet (working on PCB), it is based on my initial tube hybrid design >HERE< with certain refinements, utilizes a recently developed "super-Hawksford" VAS (inspiration and co-operation from Ostripper ), driving two pairs of lateral MOSFETs directly (already ordered ones for prototype).

For those, who doesn't want to deal with tubes (athough, I recommend to do so - takes only additional 6.3VAC source and additional 20 seconds delay at soft-start), I have added a number of IPS LTP options - jFET, BJT and combination of BJT + jFET source follower (note some adjustments in compensation, degeneration and load resistors values). Overall measurements are pretty close, however the tube one shows the best open loop linearity and transients handling (showing the lowest voltage gain at the same time), so my first prototype will go with the tube at the input.

All the virtual measurements shown are also done based on the TubSuMo model. One can say - it's just a model, let's see what real life will show. Agree, but having a lot of experience with modelling and further live prototyping, I would say - this model shows an outstanding, very "clean" performance in many aspects. Even at the swing close to the rails, even with heavy capacitive load, at clipping, etc. It's a hell of a VFA!

I will probably add a DC servo to the final design.
Also thinking about reserving the places for presented IPS options on PCB, so that it can be used for any of them.
It will be possible to use the front-end part in combination with well-known SlewMaster series of OPSs as well.

Stay tuned!

Cheers,
Valery
Attached Images
File Type: jpg #01-TubSuMo-sch.JPG (290.6 KB, 2440 views)
File Type: jpg #02-FetSuMo-sch.JPG (285.2 KB, 2290 views)
File Type: jpg #03-BipSuMo-sch.JPG (282.4 KB, 2049 views)
File Type: jpg #04-ComSuMo-sch.JPG (291.3 KB, 1996 views)
File Type: jpg @01-Measurements-01.JPG (534.1 KB, 1882 views)
File Type: jpg @02-Measurements-06.JPG (548.7 KB, 328 views)
File Type: jpg @03-Measurements-07.JPG (558.5 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg @Measurements-02.JPG (266.5 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg @Measurements-05.JPG (278.6 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg @Measurements-08.JPG (296.9 KB, 206 views)
Old 24th September 2014, 01:18 PM   #2
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Looks good! - I suggest more rail capacitance after the capacitance multipliers, schemo shows only low values.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 24th September 2014, 01:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you Gareth, you're right - these are actually from the sim - it runs simulation in 1/10-th of the real time, so they charge rather slowly there
Real build values will be higher, I will also add some more caps - will publish here soon.
Old 24th September 2014, 02:07 PM   #4
bimo is offline bimo  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

I learn something here.
Old 24th September 2014, 02:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I've been wanting to experiment with these output devices but I'm not having any luck finding them from a reputable supplier in North America.
Old 24th September 2014, 02:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilhelm View Post
I've been wanting to experiment with these output devices but I'm not having any luck finding them from a reputable supplier in North America.
I'm surprised Mouser doesn't have them in stock... I've found a local supplier, but it was not that easy
Old 24th September 2014, 06:58 PM   #7
alex mm is offline alex mm  Romania
diyAudio Member

I can't see voltage rails ......
Old 24th September 2014, 07:04 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex mm View Post
I can't see voltage rails ......
Hi Alex, these are originally designed for +/-70V DC, however any option except the tube one can be easily adapted to the lower voltage...
Old 24th September 2014, 07:14 PM   #9
MiiB is offline MiiB  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Super interesting way to "fold" the LTP input into a parallel symmetric 2. stage

very good thinking
Old 24th September 2014, 07:52 PM   #10
rawbas is offline rawbas  Philippines
diyAudio Member

I am tuned!

Hide this!Advertise here!