Beomaster 1900-2 restoration - manual?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Does anyone have the service manual to this B&O receiver, or know how I can purchase one? I've checked with most sites offering manuals for sale, and can't find one for this model.

No manual = money down the drain. I bought a lemon; I'm trying to a least get it back to life...

Thanks.

It's old, tired and when I bought it, there was an obvious hum. Shortly after, the touch senstive select would not work (ie. no power up). Thereafter, it blew an output transistor when my friend tried to check it out. Still, it looks beautiful, and to get it up and running would be great.

The previous owner obviously sent it to an incompetent for some repair.

At worst case, I was thinking of replacing he entire innards with a gainclone, but that would be such a pity.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Sounds like you have a regulator fault in addition to the blown output transistor.
You could remove the output transistors for that channel and investigate that all pre-amp/digital supplies are up and getting to the approprite sub-boards.
Once you have done this and confirmed overall operation you could then rebuild the faulty output channel.
Put a 40W or 60W lamp in series with your 240V power whilst doing this investigation.

Eric.

I have a 2400 which is basically the same thing except more
power. Had schematics somewhere, don't even know where
to look. B&O should be willing to sell you them however.
After you get it working again you will still have a low quality
item. The balance, bass and treble sliders get very noisy
and you will NOT be able to find replacements for them.
Much of the time one or both channels on mine cut out due
to the balance slider. B&O is gorgeous to look at, but poor
designs. Crammed into a box with virtually no room to work.

Learning Curve.........

Whilst I would not rate these B&O systems as high-end, for general home/family usage these work very well, the remote controls are second to none and the WAF is pretty much ultimate.

The initial hum may have been caused by a dead cap, and it sounds like your friend slipped a meter probe or something and blew an output stage.
You (and your helpful friend!) could isolate power from the output stages and then find the fault causing no power up.
There are multiple fuses in these, so that may be part of the problem.

Once you have it powering up you could connect tape outs to an external amplifier to confirm pre-amp operation.
Once power up/pre-amp operation is confirmed it should not be too hard to rebuild the output stage.
Like I said these are not fantastic hi-fi, but they do have a sound quality different to anything Japanese, and they are nice to live with.

Good luck, Eric.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Jens & Kevin, any luck locating the manuals? PDF will be just fine. Send me a PM, and I'll reply. I'm quite aware that the ultimate quality of a repaired BeoMaster won't come close to my AKSA or gainclone, but I thought that it would be an interesting exercise. If this search for the manual really needs to nothing, I'm ready to look at re-using the fairly hefty toroidal transformer as a basis for a Jacob Jensen GC!

Thanks,
mb

Beomaster 1900 help please!....

I own a beomaster 1900 that I got from Ebay some years ago... it was just working on the left channel. I sent it to a repair shop and they fixed it very fast. It worked fine for some time and then it started to turn off alone... more and more until it finally does not turn on. I sent it again to repair but they say it is not possible to find the parts and they returned it back... What can I do? where can I get the repair manual? :-( I love this B&O, but I would like very much to have it working again.. can somebody help me?

Thanks and regards from sunny Portugal :)

I have a servicemanual for Beomaster 1900 type 2903/4. It's approx 3.2Mbyte, and if those interested have enough space in their e-mail, i can send it.

( unless there's something mechanical or trafo is burned, i would say it's possible to repair)

Best regards
Ebbe

beomaster 1900

Ive just puchased a faulty 1900 off Ebay in mint condition. Fault is that it wont power up. I can "trick" it by shorting e-b of the relay switching transistor. It then powers up and all the functions and radio presets work perfectly - even the sliders are silent! Touching stanbyby turns it off, but thats it - it wont come back on untill I trick it again. can anyone help me out and mail me a manual? russ.henshaw@tesco.net Many thanks in anticipation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.