Nikko Amp Buy Help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th August 2014, 03:34 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Nikko Amp Buy Help

So there's this Nikko Alpha II amp for $100 but the catch is that the entire right channel is out-meter and everything- yet the guy says the transformer for that side still hums along.

Main Question:

Is this a good deal to fix or a money pit?

Thanks!

pictures the person providedClick the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Old Yesterday, 04:21 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I couldn't tell you if it's a money pit, but I sold a number of these back in the day as a stereo salesman and I remember that the sound quality was really a cut above. Just need to verify that there are no unobtanium parts etc in there. Maybe Sakis (east electronics)can chime in here.
Cheers
Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The amplifier is excellent it will only need a recapping and it will serve you many years to come ...

IF outputs are blown are very easy to replace and other than that is a walk in the park to repair and play with...

It looks that the main caps have been replaced in the past there might be some issue or wiring fault
In any case you decide to go ahead you can have my support i have one the same lying around so i can verify a few things for you .

There is a small design flaw in this machine has to to with thermal stability and if you go ahead i will let you know ...

Kind regards
Sakis
Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks to you both, I'm planning on buying it now, and what do you know, when I made a lower offer he mentioned the main caps had been replaced just like you said Sakis.

Should be a fun fix, although I will be more than happy to have help!
Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

You will be pleased, I saw your thread on another forum also. Like I stated before the layout of the amp makes it pretty much strait forward when it comes to repair/mods.
Old Yesterday, 09:44 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Nikko Amp Buy Help

Well...I got it for $90 (yeah I know that's too much) and I'm picking it up this weekend. Will update with better pictures soon.

Hide this!Advertise here!