Nikko Amp Buy Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So there's this Nikko Alpha II amp for $100 but the catch is that the entire right channel is out-meter and everything- yet the guy says the transformer for that side still hums along.

Main Question:

Is this a good deal to fix or a money pit?

Thanks!

pictures the person provided
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I couldn't tell you if it's a money pit, but I sold a number of these back in the day as a stereo salesman and I remember that the sound quality was really a cut above. Just need to verify that there are no unobtanium parts etc in there. Maybe Sakis (east electronics)can chime in here.
Cheers

The amplifier is excellent it will only need a recapping and it will serve you many years to come ...

IF outputs are blown are very easy to replace and other than that is a walk in the park to repair and play with...

It looks that the main caps have been replaced in the past there might be some issue or wiring fault
In any case you decide to go ahead you can have my support i have one the same lying around so i can verify a few things for you .

There is a small design flaw in this machine has to to with thermal stability and if you go ahead i will let you know ...

Kind regards
Sakis

Guess this thread should be help me fix my Nikko amp now.

well opened it up and somebody's been father than the main capacitors like he claimed because 3 of the 4 board clips on the right channel are gone. Right channel fuse is blown as well. Transformer has weird coating that is not on the left side.

Starting to worry. Bridge rectifiers were replaced by the glue on the caps around them has been broken.

All these twisted wires around posts: should they be soldered?

A few of the right side amp board pins are bent.

those red and white twisted wires should not be there. Nothing burnt out though.

Any thoughts? I do have a bad feeling.

Congrats on the amp, you will be very happy with it once you get it up and running! The transistors you mentioned should be 2SB600 & 2SD555 I believe, I'll double check for you later when I get out to the shop. As far as the wires go, unless you have the correct wire wrap tool I suggest you solder to the posts. They are in fact wire wrapped from the factory but they use a special wire wrap tool that wraps them down to a specific torque and if you don't get them super tight they can cause major headaches, I have never had a problem soldering to posts.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The thermal paste is only an aid to heat transfer between the imperfectly flat, hard surfaces. It doesn't really conduct heat well and it doesn't insulate well electrically either, so all power transistors still need some form of insulating pad.

Thermal "paste" is used with a thin film or rigid insulating washer - mica, kapton etc. or special ceramic pads.
Silicone rubber or silpads and similar composite pads are soft and compliant so no grease is needed, nor should it be used.

a2eb0d220b6795c90bf161781b74460d.jpg

recapped, replaced a transistor and a bunch of blown resistors around it, and fixed a short on the broken side by replacing the diode bridge but the lightbulb STILL lights up! feeling stuck, but with how good the working side sounds, I'll tackle it again this weekend.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.