Jands J-700 service manual - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st August 2014, 11:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Jands J-700 service manual

I'm looking for a Jands J-700 amplifier service manual,if anyone has a copy? I tried Jands of course, I sent them an email saying I'm doing the repair myself,they replied that they don't send them out to the general public? Then asked me where I lived so he could send me to a repairer Grrrr
Old 5th August 2014, 09:55 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Bump! What about a Jands J 700 schematic?
Old 5th August 2014, 10:45 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

It might be well worth to give the guys at "Clark Audio" a phone call/email regarding your amp - there's not much they haven't seen/done/repaired/upgraded over the years - they've a website and located in Mt Waverley, Melbourne - very highly regarded.
Old 5th August 2014, 12:59 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshillj View Post
It might be well worth to give the guys at "Clark Audio" a phone call/email regarding your amp - there's not much they haven't seen/done/repaired/upgraded over the years - they've a website and located in Mt Waverley, Melbourne - very highly regarded.
Thanks for that James,Ill send of an email and see what happens.How did we ever get things done before the internet
Old 10th August 2014, 03:23 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster View Post
Thanks for that James,Ill send of an email and see what happens.How did we ever get things done before the internet
I got onto Dallas Clarke from Clarke Audio,he said Jands don't have a service manual for that model or a schematic that he is aware of? Oh well Ill have to try and figure it out myself.This amp looks like it was put together by a drunken monkey with good soldering skills.Ha!
Old 10th August 2014, 04:13 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Sorry that he wasn't able to assist, Ross, and yes, tho Jands stuff back when was pretty basic
Maybe, just maybe it might be a variation of the Leo Simpson circuits that were all the rage back then - those amplifier circuits were also pretty basic but a lot of guys did manage to get them to function at higher power okay - the name they were called escapes my leaky memory - "playmaster" and all that stuff in the forerunner to Silicon Chip mag?

Hope it comes together for you altho. if not, there are plenty of good old 2nd hand power amps in the 'pawn shops' or whatever they're called now, and Geralton is still only a phone call away.
Old 10th August 2014, 04:15 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Damn, didn't Jands make a 600 model?

Perhaps it is an 'up-powered' version of the same design?
Old 10th August 2014, 04:35 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshillj View Post
Damn, didn't Jands make a 600 model?

Perhaps it is an 'up-powered' version of the same design?
I don't know about the 600,Ive never heard of that one but I tried to fix a Jands 920 not long ago I was using a hand written schematic that was near on indecipherable.I spent approx $200 on parts before I eventually gave up on it.I was keen to get it going at first because I knew that the 920s were used in the Sydney Opera House in the past.
Old 10th August 2014, 10:01 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Jands haven't been in PA manufacturing or service for their old audio gear for many years. JPJ Audio is the successor to Jands former audio manufacturing business.
JANDS and Johnston Audio Merger: Johnston Audio Services is now JPJ Audio while JANDS remains the same.

I don't know whether they still hold service details for Jands legacy products but if they do, you can be fairly sure they won't be handing out anything free to the public whilst ever they have even notional service agreements - even if the products only have historical value.
Old 11th August 2014, 02:57 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Finch View Post
Jands haven't been in PA manufacturing or service for their old audio gear for many years. JPJ Audio is the successor to Jands former audio manufacturing business.
JANDS and Johnston Audio Merger: Johnston Audio Services is now JPJ Audio while JANDS remains the same.

I don't know whether they still hold service details for Jands legacy products but if they do, you can be fairly sure they won't be handing out anything free to the public whilst ever they have even notional service agreements - even if the products only have historical value.
You would think that Jands would release the schematics of 30/40/50 year old vintage amps even if they did have a service agreement with some workshops?(I cant imagine it wouldn't have been in force when they were sold?) When I was looking for a service manual for the 920 people warned me to just bin it and forget about Jands,they are not worth the bother,stay away from Jands, etc...etc...You don't have to take your Vintage model T Ford back to a certified Ford workshop to get it fixed,you just download the manual.All that Jands has done is give themselves a bad name.I don't know what Jands products and customer service for them are like for the new products now days but if I was in the market for a PA amp I'm certain Jands wouldn't be on my list that's for sure.

Hide this!Advertise here!