Cheaper heat sinks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This time I'm just building a high-power dummy load, preferably one that doesn't involve any water. But just like for an amp, really good heat sinks are expensive.

I'm seriously considering stock aluminum plate and stock C-channel. I have cans of heat-transfer loaded epoxy. I might even be able to find cheaper used materials for scrap recycle prices. Some tall sections of heavy-wall extruded square aluminum should make nice chimneys. I'm definitely going to find a local scrap yard to walk thru.

Point is, heat-sink extrusions are nice but often seem overpriced to me.

Unless you use it on a regular basis, a bucket and a cheap resistor is the way to go.

If you have more money than Bill Gates, buy a bunch of Dale 250W resistors and bolt them to 20" x 6" wide 0.125" AL plates (with grease) and run a window fan on them, that's in the plans from Crown for their recommended warranty test set-up.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.