Smart phone source? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th July 2014, 05:59 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Smart phone source?

Having very little theory under my belt, I'm wondering if it's possible to use a smart phone as an input source to an amp, via the headphone jack, and, if so, what device type would one select? (Interested in playing Pandora tunes...) Thanks!
Old 25th July 2014, 06:10 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Use any high-level input (anything that's not Phono). Note that some devices may have very wimpy headphone output levels, stock.
Old 25th July 2014, 06:53 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

You can use almost any personal music player/receiver as an input for your amplifier. Note however, that many personal players designed for earbuds are used at quite low output voltages, so you may need to crank up the device volume level to get a decent clear output to feed to your amplifier. Many old amplifiers don't have signal muting circuits so you may have to be careful with connections and power-up/down sequence to avoid thumps and noises from your connections and the phone itself.

It is unlikely that sound quality will be anywhere near hi-fi from miniature devices because the mode of typical use doesn't require it. Boosted to living room levels with decent loudspeakers, you will probably begin to realize the shortcomings.

Assuming you mean "which input should you select", then you can use any available line level input on a integrated amplifier, meaning any such as tuner, tape playback, auxiliary, CD, DAT etc. inputs and the corresponding switch selection. In many amplifiers , they are all effectively the same or similar levels and high impedance. Don't use phono inputs as these are very low level, meaning they first connect directly to a specific phono preamplifier for a whole heap of extra gain and heavy equalisation to compensate for the low bass/high treble output from vinyl recordings. You really don't want that.
Old 25th July 2014, 07:01 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks!!!
Old 26th July 2014, 07:15 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I use a signal generator app on my smartphone instead of having a "real" signal generator. Works perfectly fine and can easily drive an amp to maximum output level. The app even has has a completely accurate dB volume control for testing purposes.

And every smartphone I've used has had the same output capability.

Hide this!Advertise here!