XLR pinout for Burson Audio output buffer AB-160 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd July 2014, 06:17 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default XLR pinout for Burson Audio output buffer AB-160: bad experience

Does anyone has the mapping of the 6-pin molex connector with the 3-pin XLR IN and 3-pin XLR OUT in Burson Audio output buffer AB-160 XLR (it's not the RCA version)?

From the color coding of wires, it seems that it is the following:

Code:
A B C D E F
2 1 3 3 1 2 
 IN   OUT
However, checking with the tester on the chassis XLR connectors, the mapping is quite weird with a short between pin-2 XLR IN and pin-1 XLR OUT (i.e. between B and E), which does not make any sense to me unless they are both pin 1 for IN and OUT...

A = pin 1 IN
B = pin 2 IN, pin 1 OUT
C = pin 3 OUT
D = pin 2 OUT
E = pin 1 OUT
F = pin 3 IN

Thanks
-R

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by robertopisa; 2nd August 2014 at 08:06 AM.
Old 2nd August 2014, 08:04 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I did not get any further answer from Burson Audio. As I wrote before, there is a short between pin 2 of the input and pin 1 of the output, which does not make sense to me. Without any bits of information from Burson Audio, I cannot understand the correct pinout on the main board (I tried without success). As a result, I am unable to use this item as it creates humming in my system.

From the only email I got from Burson Audio (I sent them several ones), their position is clear at this point: the item is no longer supported as it is old, and should be sent back to the seller. My personal idea is that they probably made a wrong project by transforming the RCA buffer into an XLR buffer, but they will never admit this for commercial reasons (it's sloppy to create a short...).

I am therefore returning the item to the collaborative seller (loosing more than 50 euros for the two-way shipping cost that cannot be reimbursed). Sadly Burson Audio did not help us to find a solution... I will not buy anymore their stuff.

For those interested, if you need a RCA/XLR buffer with 4 MOhms of input impedance and about 25 ohms of output impedance, I suggest this pro audio item (SAM-1Bs/2svs2) made by Thomas Funk, more serious stuff and great technical support.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 2nd August 2014, 08:37 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
It is wired as all XLR standards. Pin 1 Ground. Pin 2 Cold and Pin 3 Hot. It is ballanced so must have the three connections connected.
As it has a CE sticker, it must conform to industry standard.
Old 2nd August 2014, 08:45 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I know the standard XLR pinout... the BA buffer instead has a short between pin 2 of the input and pin 1 of the output, and I do not think this is the standard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnell Electronic View Post
It is wired as all XLR standards. Pin 1 Ground. Pin 2 Cold and Pin 3 Hot. It is ballanced so must have the three connections connected.
As it has a CE sticker, it must conform to industry standard.
Old 2nd August 2014, 09:08 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
Pin 1 and Pin 2 can be cold and ground but it is not balanced if that is the case. It is advertised as a Balanced Differential Amplifier and therefore must be wired as that. Something is not right here.
Old 2nd August 2014, 09:16 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I agree I waited two weeks for a clarification... they just said it's an old item, so send it back to the seller...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnell Electronic View Post
Pin 1 and Pin 2 can be cold and ground but it is not balanced if that is the case. It is advertised as a Balanced Differential Amplifier and therefore must be wired as that. Something is not right here.

Hide this!Advertise here!