Your opinions are sought on Audio Power Amplifier Design: 6th Edition. Douglas Self - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st July 2014, 03:56 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Your opinions are sought on Audio Power Amplifier Design: 6th Edition. Douglas Self

The Sixth Edition has been out there for about a year now, and i would be very glad to get some feedback on what people think of it. I imagine that everyone who wants it has bought it by now- this not an advert. This is also NOT a trailer for a 7th edition, which is not even planned.

I would specifically be interested in reactions to:

Chapter 7, the detailed analysis of VAS distortion, carried out in collaboration with Samuel Groner.

Chapter 8, which seems to demonstrate that a push-pull or balanced VAS is always inferior to the single-ended VAS of the Blameless power amplifier.

Chapter 12, which shows how very effective output-inclusive compensation is at reducing distortion in a real amplifier, getting it below 0.0001% up to at least 10 kHz at 50W/8R.

Chapter 16,which shows that the real efficiency of a Class-A amplifier with a music signal is no better than 1%, which brings into question whether they should ever be built at all.

I would of course also like to know what you think is missing, but, as I say, there is no prospect of a new edition in the foreseeable future.
Old 21st July 2014, 04:03 PM   #2
RNMarsh is online now RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I haven't bought the newest edition yet. But, now I will just because of your questions.

It seems that efficiency is always measured at full load to make comparison. But at less than full load, the efficiency differences are are not so great and are more alike. Pls comment.

Thank you for producing an excellent book. -R.Marsh
Old 21st July 2014, 06:57 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

...THE.... Douglass Self.

I'm star struck.

Ive been a long time student, have the 5th edition. Your works have been inspiration for many of my designs. Thank you!

[ e- handshake ]
Old 21st July 2014, 09:03 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I suppose I should retire my haggard old 'First Edition' and get the latest myself. Amazon / Chapters, here I come!
Old 21st July 2014, 09:33 PM   #5
bimo is offline bimo  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Not sufficient session/chapter about "current feedback amplifier", which is popular here, like VSSA or SLEWMASTER - CFA vs. VFA "Rumble"
Old 21st July 2014, 11:30 PM   #6
Belaji is offline Belaji  United States
diyAudio Member

I would suggest that it is not helpful to speak about what is omitted in the already published book.

Bela

Last edited by Belaji; 21st July 2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old 22nd July 2014, 05:44 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Zeners or LEDs when used for the constant current circuits take away lower level details of the sound. Clean shunt regulator works better.

Gajanan Phadte
Old 22nd July 2014, 10:27 AM   #8
Vostro is offline Vostro  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Do you have a shunt regulator that you would advice
Old 22nd July 2014, 10:35 AM   #9
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimo View Post
Not sufficient session/chapter about "current feedback amplifier", which is popular here, like VSSA or SLEWMASTER - CFA vs. VFA "Rumble"
If I have read D.Self correctly, he does not believe that CFA holds any promise for improved performance.
Old 22nd July 2014, 12:11 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

He did ask to hear what folks think might be missing. Bimo's statement was not out of line. Has Dr Self built the CFA?
X-BoSoZ, B1 Mezmerize, ESP P101, Symasym, KSA 50 X 2 Aleph-X, Leach Low TIM, Leach Superamp, Dx MKIII, DX Super A, Honey Badger, JLH 1969, Gainclone. FetZilla, Peeceebee X2, VSSA PMI, VSSA jkuetemann, SKA GB150, Ovation nx, Slewmonster with; CFA-XH, Wolverine, Spooky, Symasui, Low TIM hybrid

Hide this!Advertise here!