"Mysterious" wire in Krell KSA-50MkII

Joined 2011
PERHAPS: A past owner added this switch with the yellow wire and another feedback resistor as a way of setting two different amplifier gains .... two different R8/R9 ratios. i.e. for ONE CHANNEL the switch selects between (a) one resistor = R8; or (b) two resistors in series(or parallel) = R8. This would allow passive Xover circuit bi-amping with different gain for the woofer than for the mid-tweet.

Now that makes some sense. What are the resistor values?

This Sunday I went to Church and prayed upon your yellow wire.
God told me that Satan is in that yellow wire!
If you fall to temptation and turn the rear switch, Satan will destroy your speakers!!

If you want your speakers free from Satan, you must perform an Exorcism and remove the yellow wire and restore both channels to the standard wiring+feedback. Never touch Satan's switch!!
Can I get an AMEN!

I have seen several Krell KSA50 and KSA100 amps. None had your rear "switch". Your pictures do not show enough details around the switch to trace the circuit.

PERHAPS: A past owner added this switch with the yellow wire and another feedback resistor as a way of setting two different amplifier gains .... two different R8/R9 ratios. i.e. for ONE CHANNEL the switch selects between (a) one resistor = R8; or (b) two resistors in series(or parallel) = R8. This would allow passive Xover circuit bi-amping with different gain for the woofer than for the mid-tweet.

It seems that only the Mk2 version (fan under the cooling tower and with very thick copper wiring) had the switch on the back:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Krell-KSA-50-Mk2-2075-B.jpg

This thread is going on 8 years old, but thought I would provide some expertise on the Krell KSA-50mkii.

During the 90's I owned 3 of these all at different times. The back panel key was to convert the unit into a 100 watt mono. This was all factory installed and nothing was aftermarket. The units came with a 6 inch black wire (used only when in mono mode) that was nicely terminated with coper ends. This was used to short the black (common) rear of amp speaker outputs. Only the Red terminals were used to connect the speaker. The only issue is I am not sure if you are to use the right or left rca for input. For this answer you would need to call Krell service.

I had a real love hate relation with this amp, but I keep in mind I had 3 of these. I rolled thru quite a bit of gear in the 90's and early 2000's. Of all of the numerous Krell and other amps I never owned more than once with the exception of this amp. I do have to say the 3 units I owned all sounded as sweet as people claim. They were very uniform in soundstage, both width and depth. At lower volumes this amp had an amazing 3d presentation, it just made music float in the air and the hair on my neck stand. My Issues was that I changed speakers and changed to some very inefficient models that the 50 watts could not deliver on more complex material.