Why does Electrocompaniet Gear sound so good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been in this hobby a long time, and have listened to or owned a lot of both tube and solid state gear. Mostly, I am a tube guy for serious listening. Having said that, SS gear has its place, and can provide excellent musical enjoyment.

I've moved a lot of brands in and out over the years. Mostly, the differences were not not all that significant between most of the high end gear. I have to say I find Class D amps lacking in true high end performance.

However, when I auditioned Electrocompaniet, I was floored. I have never heard SS gear that reproduced music so CLEARLY. It truly has a unique sound character among SS gear.

I was so impressed, I obtained a complete Electrocompaniet setup: ECC-1 CD player, EC 4.7 preamp, and AW2-120 power amp. Together, they sound terrific, and there seems to be a synergy with using them together. I'm hearing low level detail on old recordings that I didn't know was there (and I had some Pass Labs pre/power setups along the way). The thing is, it's natural sounding as well. no SS harshness whatsoever.

The question is, why? What does Electrocompaniet do in their designs that makes it sound different from other SS gear? Is it their approach to Transient Inter-modulation Distortion? They sure as hell are doing something unique.

BTW, all recent types of amps/preamps compared was using ATC SCM 19 (Super Linear) speakers, and a subwoofer (C1 or SVS SB13 Ultra).

This has me a bit buffaloed. Looking for feed back from some knowledgeable boffins. :drink:

I respect what they are doing and I agree they've got some specialties in their designs. I auditioned and studied only AmpliWire power amps (AW-100, AW-120) - they utilize similar topology, designed for low distortion (including low TIM) - fully balanced, with rather creative approach to feedback arrangement, running drivers in class "A". Sufficient power supply, proper wiring, I mean - attention to details is important. Yes, very natural sound.

Good choice :cheers:

Cheers,
Valery

here is 2 cents from someone that repairs 1000 amplifiers per year

EC amplifiers are like diy amps ...in general simple designs , with low tim designs from circuit aspects and a few goodies more , good quality of parts but also with good structure .

Structure is a very important issue that many in solid state amplification don't bother with .

IF you have the chance to listen and work with so many amplifiers like we do in out shop you will notice that many other than brand consumer amplifiers can and will play alike as long as the above 3 conditions exist .

Chinese Creek Evo is alike order and structure inside average quality of parts clever design and the result is really close

You will be surprised to hear that even more Chinese equipment like Advanced Acoustics or XTZ amplifiers are based on the same agenda and will produce similar results

For Advanced Acoustics quality of parts has been an issue but to our surprise the company learned the lesson and the latest models now have exceptional design but also 2 clicks better quality of parts ...

I will consume some of your time more ...

Take a YAMAHA RXV 797 it cannot be more consumer ..than that ..isolate the main amplifier , remove as many of the protections inside like VI limiters or input limiters, Add a bit of bias , add behind it any decent preamp and listen.

Trust me the result is going to be very charming

Now put everything back as was what will listen will be something like 20 times worst the reasons ?
--too much bias requires supplies and heat sinks not cost effective
--No vi limiters will effect consumer ratings of the amplifier bad for specs , bad for yamaha PR and bad for costumers relations since amp will fail if pushed
--Chaotic preamp with way too many stages and way too many functions will consume much of the quality of signal
---general safety measures in the inputs and outputs to prevent noises oscillations produced from toooooo long or wrong cables and general misuse or abuse

Put any of EC equipment next to the 797 you will notice that the EC has nothing from the above issues ...

Kind regards
Sakis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.