NAD T760 right channel problem, help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I'm new here and I hope you can help me with this surround receiver.
The problem is that I can't adjust the idle current (2mV +/- 0.2mV) of the right channel. This channel was blown up, there was a leg gone from the 2SA1941 transistor and it was on fire! I replaced almost all parts of this right channel, but still having problems. All other channels works 100%.

I'm all out of options.:(

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
If there is a just a problem with the idle current then the amp should basically work OK.

Does this faulty channel have sound ?

What is the voltage across C507 and does this voltage vary as you alter the bias pot ?

What is the voltage on Q519 base and Q521 base as measured with respect to ground. You should read around + 0.7 and - 0.7 respectively.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The voltage across C507 is adjustable with the bias (idle) preset but the absolute value isn't critical or easily defined. I asked you to measure it initially because you mentioned the bias wasn't adjusting... so we needed to see what was there. If there were say 5 volts present then that would have pointed to an open circuit base-emitter junction somewhere in the driver or output stage.

When the voltage across C507 is high enough to overcome the four base-emitter volt drops of the drivers and output transistors combined then those transistors conduct and you get the idle current flowing in the output transistors. From that point, a very tiny increase in voltage would give a massive increase in idle current.

If you can adjust the idle current correctly having replaced all those transistors then its OK. I assume the amp is working now ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.