Luxman L-400; which are the coupling caps? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2014, 12:00 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Default Luxman L-400; which are the coupling caps?

Guys,
I just purchased a Luxman L-400 integrated amp, I want to replace the output caps and the coupling caps right away. I found the output caps (10,000 electro's) but am having a hard time with identifying the coupling caps. Could one of you that is better at reading schematics look at the service manual on this site: Luxman L-400 Manual - Duo Beta Stereo Integrated Amplifier - HiFi Engine (the schematic that is on this link next to the service manual is for three different models and was useless to me)
Thanks, Wire Nut

Last edited by Wire Nut; 7th July 2014 at 12:38 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 01:42 PM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
If you don't know what they are, why do you want to replace them?
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 12:20 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Because I have replaced them on my other amps including an Alta Vista platinum upgraded Counterpoint... (Google it), and I like the sound of Mundorf caps.
If you are not being a help- you are being a bother.
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 12:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: The Jurassic Coast, England. GB
Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
Read the service manual. there are quite a few! You will be best advised to keep to the designers values and not change them.
__________________
www.flyingmole.co.uk For World Wide support for Flying Mole, Class D, Refurbishment and Repairs. www.jonsnell.co.uk
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 01:44 PM   #5
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator
 
SY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicagoland
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire Nut View Post
If you are not being a help- you are being a bother.
Actually, his question should provoke some thought and possibly a bit of research beyond voodoo claims. It's more helpful than you are appreciating.
__________________
You might be screaming "No, no, no" and all they hear is "Who wants cake?" Let me tell you something: They all do. They all want cake.- Wilford Brimley
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 06:43 PM   #6
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Upper midwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire Nut View Post
Guys,
I just purchased a Luxman L-400 integrated amp, I want to replace the output caps and the coupling caps right away. I found the output caps (10,000 electro's) but am having a hard time with identifying the coupling caps. Could one of you that is better at reading schematics look at the service manual on this site: Luxman L-400 Manual - Duo Beta Stereo Integrated Amplifier - HiFi Engine (the schematic that is on this link next to the service manual is for three different models and was useless to me)
Thanks, Wire Nut
The two 10,000uF caps are in the power supply, not for output coupling.
The two amplifier outputs are direct coupled, with the usual 100uF capacitors in the ground legs of the NFB loops. There are lots of coupling caps in this unit.
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 07:41 PM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
There are no speaker output coupling caps, and there are no electrolytic caps in the signal path. You do not need to do anything here because it won't improve the amp in any way. Your Mundorf caps will - if anything - reduce the performance of Luxman's well thought out and excellent design.

Your attitude is frankly quite offensive.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 10:55 PM   #8
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Upper midwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome View Post
There are no speaker output coupling caps, and there are no electrolytic caps in the signal path. You do not need to do anything here because it won't improve the amp in any way. Your Mundorf caps will - if anything - reduce the performance of Luxman's well thought out and excellent design.

Your attitude is frankly quite offensive.
Unfortunately, there are a number of electrolytic coupling caps in this unit, such as at the inputs of the phono preamp and at the inputs of the power amp.
There are also electrolytics to ground in the NFB loop to control the DC offset.
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 10:59 PM   #9
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Upper midwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnell Electronic View Post
Read the service manual. there are quite a few! You will be best advised to keep to the designers values and not change them.
Yes, and they're all more than 30 years old. About due regardless, I'd say.
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2014, 11:10 AM   #10
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Thanks to all... no wonder I could not find them-there are so many! I will be replacing the electrolyes, probably a section at a time.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Luxman L-116a Caps Jonas83 Solid State 1 25th November 2010 09:00 PM
Coupling caps Luxman pre-amp Narks Solid State 0 30th July 2010 10:23 AM
no coupling caps ray bronk Tubes / Valves 2 20th May 2008 07:10 AM
coupling caps el capitan83 Tubes / Valves 10 17th December 2004 04:25 PM
coupling caps??? AudioGeek Tubes / Valves 14 16th September 2004 12:05 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:21 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2