Luxman r-1050 troubleshooting - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th July 2014, 10:12 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

I now have 2 meters connected. on the left channel the lowest setting is 68mA on the right the lowest setting is 89mA..
Old 8th July 2014, 11:04 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

If I recall there are two fuses on each channel. You're only measuring across a single fuse, right? Also, only remove one fuse per channel. Those numbers seem doubled. Otherwise, we have problem that I cannot quite understand. Too much current there, obviously. Does the amp run hot? It's only supposed to be slightly warm - if that.

Is the battery fine in your meter? A low battery can cause all sorts of unpredictable readings.

Last edited by Welcome; 8th July 2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 8th July 2014, 12:16 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome View Post
If I recall there are two fuses on each channel. You're only measuring across a single fuse, right? Also, only remove one fuse per channel. Those numbers seem doubled. Otherwise, we have problem that I cannot quite understand. Too much current there, obviously. Does the amp run hot? It's only supposed to be slightly warm - if that.

Is the battery fine in your meter? A low battery can cause all sorts of unpredictable readings.
yes I do measure with one fuse removed. while browsing the web for images I noticed this one looks different, it seems modded. maybe that's why the bias is higher.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amp1.jpg (137.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg amp2.jpg (156.7 KB, 26 views)
Old 8th July 2014, 07:45 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I've seen that board before. I think it's the NL company Audioscript that put that in there. They apparently liked to screw around with their products before selling them, adding in a bunch of junk for some reason. Here's some mention of that (not the same amp though) - Luxman audio products

That board is in the tuner, though, so it should have no effect on the idle current of the power amp.
Old 8th July 2014, 07:54 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Ah searching audioscript revealed the modification to be an anti-birdie filter... I used two different current meters so the readings are correct... Could a broken potmeter be the problem?
Old 9th July 2014, 12:27 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

checked the potmeters.. they are fine!

do the speakers have to be disconnected when setting the bias? When testing without the speakers connected I measure 48mA

then a last question, In some old tube amps i've added a primary 12v winding in series with the primary of the power transformator. this is because the voltage from the outlets are about 10v higher these days. is this mod needed for this solid-state amp or won't the extra voltage hurt the amp?

Last edited by mrneedle; 9th July 2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10th July 2014, 08:06 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Yes, no speakers, no source - nothing connected. Volume at minimum. Forgot to mention that.

The extra voltage won't hurt anything. Running 220V units at 230V is no problem whatsoever.
Old 10th July 2014, 09:38 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

and thanks for you help!

Hide this!Advertise here!