Hiraga 30w a class help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Glow?! It would require sqrt(5W/0R33) of current (hint: 3.9A) to overheat those resistors above the max dissipation of 5W.

You might want to focus on checking your wiring on the area highlighted below.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This area adjusts bias current for the output transistors. If bias current is too high, it might heat up the resistor. That, or your output transistors are shorted.

edit: check also the 47K / 1W resistors.

Are the output transistors grounding to the heatsink?

Otherwise, as previously mentioned, check all wiring in the driver/output area against the schematic and the driver & output transistors for shorts.

Hope you are able to solve it!

Good luck,

Steve

Last edited:
in working condition

The beast is alive!
The diode bridge, torodial transformer(250va only) and output transistors're heating more then i think they should. I measured transformer 60C, transitrors up to 90C. I suppose the output transitors bias too high. Haven't done any measuring yet.
Sound is nicely rich!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
noobie question...

how are power and ground isolated from each other when npn's and pnp's are mounted on the same heatsink?

This is why you use insulating layer between the transistor and heatsink. The transistors must still be electrically isolated from the heatsink. Insulating layer would lower thermal efficiency but with proper dimensioning, this shouldn't be a problem. You might want to google "heatsink insulator".

This is why you use insulating layer between the transistor and heatsink. The transistors must still be electrically isolated from the heatsink. Insulating layer would lower thermal efficiency but with proper dimensioning, this shouldn't be a problem. You might want to google "heatsink insulator".

thank you ballpencil, haha good name, for the explanation!

i saw the white "layers" in the picture, between the transistors and the "copper" bar, as well as between the "copper" bar and the heatsink, and thought they are the heat conducting paste sort of stuff.

ok, we have an insulating layer now, what about the screws, would they short the transistors to the heatsink anyway? are all audio output transistors made in plastic packages only, and never with a metal tab with a hole in the middle for fastening?

are transistors with a metal tab for fastening switching power transistors, and not audio output transistors?

the white layer between the transistors and the heatsink is thick but
made out of beryllium oxide (beryllium oxide as world's best heat conductor).
PS! never drill or grind it!!!

thank you onuhannes!

is it ok to cut them?
what's the right way of making holes in them, or are we not supposed to do that either?
"never drill or grind it", ok, but what are we trying to avoid here?

Well its better not to use beryllium oxide as an insulator unless you really know how to work with it.
Use something else, that stuff isn't good for you, or the person servicing the amp in the future.
There is many other alternatives. For me +1 for good old mica :)

Well its better not to use beryllium oxide as an insulator unless you really know how to work with it.
Use something else, that stuff isn't good for you, or the person servicing the amp in the future.
There is many other alternatives. For me +1 for good old mica :)

thank you Vostro for the tip!
how do you avoid shorting threw screws?
or with real audio output transistors, that would never be an issue?

thank you Vostro for the tip!
how do you avoid shorting threw screws?
or with real audio output transistors, that would never be an issue?

You can use an insulating thinghy (#2 in image below)

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 379
bias not clear to me

hi I'm looking for a section that covers bias on the Hiraga 30W class A this is a prototype PCB I made I chose those modern transistors but I'm not sure if I can use the values from this website I need advice oh this PCB is double layer

and here is the website link Jean Hiraga's Super Class-A Amplifier

Attachments

• Hiraga Class A prototype board.jpg
    Hiraga Class A prototype board.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 927
  • Hiraga Class A prototype board double.jpg
    Hiraga Class A prototype board double.jpg
    398 KB · Views: 421
Disabled Account
Joined 2015
Hiraga's circuit relies on very high Hfe input diamond circuit with A872/C1775. The bias is achieved by the input emitter resistors 180/240 ohms as well as 47k feeding then. If alternative transistors needed, BC550c/560c or A970 /C2240 can also considered.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.