Some questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The sony distribution unit I have has started to malfunction I believe a few days ago .... I have my VCR and my cassette deck plugged into it......

The cassette deck still sounds excellent thru it,MY VCR SOUNDS LIKE CRAP GOING THRU IT....... At first I thought it was either the cord between my vcr and unit or the VCR...... I just tried a different VCR with the same AND different cord with the same crappy sound so Im pretty sure the unit has gone bad...... MY QUESTION IS:

Why does it only affect my VCR input?? - THE CASSETTE DECK INPUT SOUNDS AWESOME...... (And when I listen to am/fm radio it sounds good)

I can only assume the 2 different things have different properties..Maybe the cassette one doesnt use as much resources in the unit??

Its a SONY UNIT WITH MULTIPLE EXTERNAL INPUTS (Radio (The radio is internal),Video 1,Video 2,TAPE/VHS,CD)

Started noticing problems a few months ago with it..... The volume would keep going UP AND DOWN regardless of what input I was listening to.....

Has anyone ever had thier amplication unit go bad ON ONLY 1 INPUT?? (It doesnt matter what input I plug it into on the unit (Its a MONO signal coming from my VCR (The cassette one is also (Well its STEREO but its MERGED TO MONO before it gets to the unit..))))

Last edited:
Check the input jacks

Hi, Often this sort of behavior will be due to oxidation or some other contaminate inside the jacks. Use something like DeOxit and pipe cleaners to clean the inside connection. The only reasons likely for one set of inputs to go bad are: the selector mechanism (switch or solid state control) is faulty or there are separate buffers inside the unit and the ones for that input have failed. It is unusual to have such buffers though. My money is on the jacks or the switching mechanism.

Thank you for your input guys......

I started noticing problems months ago..... The volume would go up and down no matter what input I would listen to........ It sounds like the amp is not kicking in when i listen to my VCR (It now sounds like it does if I listen thru the TV speaker)

No matter which Port I plug my VCR into the same result so Im assuming the unit is failing.... She has had a bashed in top for along time now (I put something too heavy on it once and the top caved in sort of) -- Im glad she has been working all this time... (Im certainly glad my cassette player/radio still sound good)

Here is what I have :)

www.bootic.com/sony/electronics/audio/audio-components/audio-and-video-receivers/sony-str-de185

Probably if the audio is HIFI im listening to on my VCR that is more taxing on the unit perhaps thats why my cassette player still sounds good...... (I dont think that signal is HIFI)

Last edited:
sony str de185

Dude111, I have the same stereo receiver ( Sony STR-DE185 )

Does anyone know if the RCA audio outputs on the back of this receiver can be used to power a seperate subwoofer ? .....like say a dayton audio sa1000 subwoofer amplifier to a dayton audio subwoofer in a custom vented enclosure ?

Here's a Link to the specs and pictures of the front and back

https://docs.sony.com/release/specs/STRDE185spec.pdf

Hope the Website Link works.

I've been liking this receiver for a long time. not sure if i can add a subwoofer now, if i wanted to. Anyone know ?

Well it was the interconnect (Sorry for not updating my thread here;leaving you guys hanging)

My interconnect had a bad end and for months I kept wiggling it to get it to work..... Then finally it stopped working and I just got bad audio from it.... (Sibilance,etc)

I had a hell of a time FINDING ANOTHER GOOD CABLE!! (They all suck today compared to the original cable I had.... NOT GOOD SOUND) I finally found one thats 99% as good....

YES....... CABLES DO MATTER!!

MikeCTM2 said:
I've been liking this receiver for a long time.
I love it also......

Good luck with your quest to hook a sub woofer in.... I dont see why it wouldnt work...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.