Hot follower/cool follower

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
andrea`s power follower

I´ve constructed the power follower (andrea ciufoly) with a bride of zen as a voltage amplifier; the sound is excellent, but it seems the heatsinking is a big problem; with 20% more heathsinking capability than the sugested, my amplifier is a little more than 25º C over ambient temp with only 1.3 A bias ( 10 W output)
¿does anybody have the same problem?
thanks in advance

some pics

the two box follower; one for the amp and other for the regulated psu

Attachments

• follower.jpg
    follower.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 488
Hi, Freddie!
your comments are very welcome!

so the dissipation I have can be considered normal?
my room temp today is about 27º C and will reach 31ºC ( the summer in Spain)
so your amp will iddle at 61º C...
when mine is over 55º I´ve heard clics and other strange noises,
and I´ve shutted down...
may I ask you to send a picture of your amp?
what are you using as a driver stage?
many thanks in advance

Freddie said:
karellen,
I've also built a Power follower 99. Mine runs at 2amp, 100W dissipation per channel. I use heatsinks rated 0,34K/W. So heatsink temperature is around 34 degrees above ambient . (0,34*100W).

/Freddie

so the dissipation I have can be considered normal?my room temp today is about 27º C and will reach 31ºC ( the summer in Spain)
so your amp will iddle at 61º C...
when mine is over 55º I´ve heard clics and other strange noises,
and I´ve shutted down...
may I ask you to send a picture of your amp?
what are you using as a driver stage?
many thanks in advance

I don't have a picture of my amp (no digital camera). As driver stage I'm using a BoZ running at 100V. It really sounds strange that you heared clicks, and strange noises when the follower get hot. Mine is always really quite. I've been using this follower and BoZ for two years. But now I'm going to replace it..

Freddie said:

I don't have a picture of my amp (no digital camera). As driver stage I'm using a BoZ running at 100V. It really sounds strange that you heared clicks, and strange noises when the follower get hot. Mine is always really quite. I've been using this follower and BoZ for two years. But now I'm going to replace it..

Mmmm!
what is a Boz? is the schematic available?

Im not fully sure where the clics came from, but now that I know it can whistand more temp for years, I´ll try to find out.

BTW, I guess your next proyect is Aleph, dont you?

Mmmm!
what is a Boz? is the schematic available?

Im not fully sure where the clics came from, but now that I know it can whistand more temp for years, I´ll try to find out.

BTW, I guess your next proyect is Aleph, dont you?

BoZ= Bride Of Zen

One monoblock is finished, the other monoblock is almost finished, very little work left. My next project is actually another poweramp, check the the "much less crazy idea" if your'e interested. Ohh.. I forgot a new balanaced preamp is under construction too.. So much to do, so little time:)

Andrea Ciuffoli's power follower-switch between SE follower and PP cool follower mode

Are there a elegant solution for selecting between single ended power follower and push pull classAB cool follower about switching or pull out/push in coding connector?

here the original schematic URLs:
http://www.audiodesignguide.com/my/Cool_Follower1.GIF (Push Pull class AB)
http://www.audiodesignguide.com/my/Hot_Follower1.GIF (Push Pull class A)
http://www.audiodesignguide.com/my/Follower_99c.gif

Thanks for your advices.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.