My Blameless MkII

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Calling Bigun...

Hi Gareth...

I took on your feedback and had another play around with the layout. Ignore the bottom half - its a mess - I'm trying out different ideas. What do you think about the top half?

Attachments

• CSH3_brd.png
    CSH3_brd.png
    69.2 KB · Views: 241
I think you are taking the right approach, layout the big parts that need big currents and work out how to fit in neat traces to carry those currents around - especially the ground.

You could eliminate the pcb mounting holes near the top edge, the power devices will anchor that edge of the board and as there are 4 of them I don't see the board placing any undue stress on the leads. This will give some space to optimize further.

Now that I've posted the TGM8 files you could also explore the option of starting with that layout and modifying it to suit yours.

Hello everyone,

Its been a while since I updated this thread and in that time I've been very busy researching and refining this project.

Layout

The board has undergone a redesign to reduce the length of high current traces by placing the bulk filter caps as close to the output transistor pins as close as possible. The pairs of output transistors are now horizontally opposed, whereas previously they were positioned along the top edge of the board. Subjectively, I believe that amplifiers with a large capacitance store close to the outputs sound better, and having the power supply on-board certainly simplifies wiring and chassis layout.

The LTP and current mirror transistors are oriented such that they can be thermally coupled (thanks Bigun).

Circuit

LTP CCS has been cascoded to further reduce hum and I've settled on ~6mA for the LTP pair after analysing a number of similar designs that use this same family of input transistors.

The LTP cascode has been removed and higher voltage parts substituted for the LTP. I will experiment with cascodes in a future re-design; however, I believe this circuit is enough of a departure from the Mk I that I want to evaluate these changes in isolation.

I spent some time reading Groner on Self (http://www.sg-acoustics.ch/analogue_audio/power_amplifiers/pdf/audio_power_amp_design_comments.pdf) and a very interesting thread on this forum (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/133018-current-mirror-discussion.html). I've adopted an improved current mirror here. The emitter degen resistors have been redimensioned to drop approx. 660mV, which I feel is a reasonable compromise.

Attachments

• CSH5.png
    CSH5.png
    61.6 KB · Views: 171
  • CSH5_sch.png
    CSH5_sch.png
    41.8 KB · Views: 200
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.