Low TIM, low distortion hybrid front-end - Page 16 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th July 2014, 10:35 PM   #151
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to vzaichenko
Lightbulb "Hybrid madness" continues ;)

OK, here is what I came up with so far (next hybrid) - created the new thread - see it HERE. Ideas are welcome. We have to prototype this one - it's going to be a lot of fun - "tubish" sound with low distortion
By the way, we can easily control distortion there - no problem to increase it, just add up to your taste

Output buffer is designed by Damir - I just utilize it here as one of the best ones for the purpose.

Cheers,
Valery
Attached Images
File Type: jpg @LinearGain-Hybrid-01-NoGNFB-00-sch.jpg (218.8 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg @LinearGain-Hybrid-01-NoGNFB-50W-20k.JPG (379.9 KB, 192 views)
Old 10th July 2014, 09:55 PM   #152
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzaichenko View Post
Hi Terry,

Wrote you the answer and then lost it completely somehow
Ok, here is take two

The output of the front end gives 4.5 - 4.7 mA when idle, no adjustment needed normally. If it will still be required - R17 (schematic from post #35) allows adjusting it (lower R - higher output current).

Regarding the DC offset - it is set automatically, assuming the triodes are matched enough within the tube. I have simply selected the tubes with very close parameters for the triodes. In the worst case, it is possible to put a 50 ohm pot between R5 and R8 - see attached picture - it allows adjusting the offset in the range +/- 2V - and then simply measure it and exchange it with 2 normal resistors. Sorry I did not reserve some space for it - just really hoped it would not be required (and in my case it's not).

Cheers,
Valery
Hi Valery,

I have another question if you don't mind. Please keep in mind, I am not questioning your design, I'm trying to learn. You list C16,C17 as 160V. Looks like they only see one rail and go to ground. Why 160V?

Thanks, Terry
X-BoSoZ, B1 Mezmerize, ESP P101, Symasym, KSA 50 X 2 Aleph-X, Leach Low TIM, Leach Superamp, Dx MKIII, DX Super A, Honey Badger, JLH 1969, Gainclone. FetZilla, Peeceebee X2, VSSA PMI, VSSA jkuetemann, SKA GB150, Slewmonster with; CFA-XH IPS, Wolverine IPS, Spooky IPS
Old 11th July 2014, 01:54 AM   #153
diyAudio Member

Terry, you're right - they only see the rails, so they can be 100V-rated or even 80V-rated easily (though I like to have some safety margin). Sometimes, whem I work on PCB (and re-draw schematic for PCB design purposes), I copy-paste some elements from my previous designs, when I know the physical size is right, even if they are slightly over-rated. This is where 160V came from.

Cheers,
Valery
Old 11th July 2014, 04:32 AM   #154
diyAudio Member

Hi Valery,

Which files did you use to have your boards made? I sent the ASCII file and the silkscreen is pretty badly offset. It works but it makes it a little more difficult to locate the parts. I am attaching a pic of the boards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen print.jpg (683.0 KB, 141 views)
X-BoSoZ, B1 Mezmerize, ESP P101, Symasym, KSA 50 X 2 Aleph-X, Leach Low TIM, Leach Superamp, Dx MKIII, DX Super A, Honey Badger, JLH 1969, Gainclone. FetZilla, Peeceebee X2, VSSA PMI, VSSA jkuetemann, SKA GB150, Slewmonster with; CFA-XH IPS, Wolverine IPS, Spooky IPS
Old 11th July 2014, 05:12 AM   #155
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by still4given View Post
Hi Valery,

Which files did you use to have your boards made? I sent the ASCII file and the silkscreen is pretty badly offset. It works but it makes it a little more difficult to locate the parts. I am attaching a pic of the boards.
Hi Terry,

I used exactly the P-CAD ASCII file, attached to post #35.
From what I see on your photo, there is some mismatch in silk-screen font (the one pcb manufacturer used for printing the silk-screen) - on your PCB characters are somewhat bigger than expected.

See my PCB attached.

By the way, it is possible to download a free P-CAD viewer HERE - it shows PCB layout from P-CAD ASCII format.

Cheers,
Valery
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PCB.JPG (249.7 KB, 129 views)
Old 11th July 2014, 05:44 AM   #156
diyAudio Member

Attached is the picture the board house sent me. I am trying to get to the bottom of it.
Attached Images
File Type: png 11.png (88.6 KB, 124 views)
Old 11th July 2014, 10:13 AM   #157
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by still4given View Post
Attached is the picture the board house sent me. I am trying to get to the bottom of it.
Yes, looks a little bit strange - characters are larger than the ones on my PCB and some of them are slightly moved to the left...
Old 11th July 2014, 01:00 PM   #158
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

I have known of an issue just like this and in my case it is not produced at the board house. The issue is in a mismatch between what you see on the screen in Eagle edit mode and the creation of the Gerber files (the master images used to manufacture the boards). You should create the Gerber files yourself, then view them carefully with a suitable viewer before you submit them to the board house. The Gerber files will be faithfully reproduced. If you leave the board house to create your Gerber files you can get all sorts of issues. The default in Eagle is to use variable width fonts and these often don't convert well when making Gerbers - at least that is what I have found. So I used fixed width (they are a bit boring!) fonts and then I check the Gerbers - in many cases I still have to adjust the position of text as there is sometimes an offset between what you see in Eagle edit and what shows up on the Gerbers. Check and double check your Gerber files and you'll be fine.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 11th July 2014, 01:10 PM   #159
Vostro is offline Vostro  South Africa
diyAudio Member

what font did you use for silkscreen ?
looks like boardhouse did font substitution, maybe ?
or just font size difference ?
Old 11th July 2014, 01:20 PM   #160
diyAudio Member

When I first sent the files in to get a quote, I sent both Gerbers and ASCII files for the Low TIM and Valery's Class A. When they sent the quote back they did it based on the ASCII files so when I got ready to order the boards, that is what I sent. I was able to look at the gerbers and they looked right but I couldn't look at the ASCII files. This board house has always sent nice boards before. Now, using the viewer that Valery linked, the screenprint looks fine so I wonder why the board house screen shot looks like what they made.

Hide this!Advertise here!