NAIM NAP 110 amp, high DC offset and mute channel - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th June 2014, 02:52 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

All On-Semi product (New product is now marked MJ15003G) is supported by dealer networks and distributors. There will be many industrial service parts suppliers in Italian cities and throughout Europe. In particular, international ones like RS components: RS Components | componenti elettronici ed elettrici who also sell BUV20 in small quantities on-line. Arrow electronics are major distributors too. Local Sales Support in ITALY

You are correct with BDY56, I had not seen this smaller NAP110 model before but the rest is identical and it is a scaled-down size die BDY58. It will be difficult if not impossible to source old parts like these. Bear in mind that as a DIY repairer, small mistakes mean buying more parts again and the cost can be enormous if you must have originals. The cheap parts on Ebay etc. will be just that since originals were made by Semelab or possibly SGS- Thomson and RCA in the USA. They were obsolete more than 30 years ago. New parts offered on Ebay etc. will be cheap new copies or fakes with the only right part being the number I imagine, since no recognized manufacturer apart from Chinese factories offers to supply them.
Old 29th June 2014, 02:00 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

How about these?

BDY56 Transistor x 1 pieces | eBay

TRANSISTOR - BDY56 15A-180V-NPN-120W TO3 | GPEC srl

Semiconductor: BDY56 (BDY 56) - TRANSISTOR SILICON NPN / 180V / 15A / 115W>10MH...

Last edited by Calamaro; 29th June 2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 29th June 2014, 03:57 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

"Little Diode" is usually the most expensive source for semiconductors - anywhere!
I can only guess that their sources are genuine and the product is close to original specification -
but with only a generic TO3 image and no reference to their source, who can say?

Donberg are offering SML product, which I have no idea of the source because that is a another
generic brand and again, the transistor could be anything that meets just the basic specs.

There is no datasheet offered by the manufacturer for proper comparisons which makes any
decision a guess. If they rely on the original part detail specifications to characterise their own
product, then they should state that and show or refer to that datasheet. With no assurances,
you really only can be certain of the external appearance and marking.

It's your choice but really, there should be no reason for almost any TO3 not to function, even if they are just rebranded 2N3055 or similar. It seems as though others have used generic parts anyway, from the pics posted earlier.
Old 30th June 2014, 01:30 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

I since managed to read SGS on the second example and this should, if a genuine mark, be the correct part. Consider that this brand became ST micro in 1987 so the transistor will not be looking brand new after at least 27 years. (I would test the mark with solvent). If the price is acceptable and you feel better about the part number being right, this will be the only choice. Good luck and buy a spare set as well!
Old 1st July 2014, 12:32 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Yes the price is acceptable, they require a minimum 30 euros order though.
Also I've found an alternative: some aftermarket BDY56 from Comset Semiconductor... it is a belgian company that produces

"aftermarket for discontinue parts like transistors, SCR and Triac from major MFRs such as PHILIPS.
COMSET SEMICONDUCTORS was founded in 1974, Our aim is to reproduce discontinued, mature and end-of-life Transistors, Triacs, SCRís and ICís to extends product life cycle. Our productí line is focused mainly on PHILIPS semiconductors that were produced in the eighties."

BDY56 in stock buy now | View parts datasheet pdf

Comset Semiconductors Home page
Old 1st July 2014, 02:01 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

SGS. All of the suppliers are attempting that aftermarket supply. The idea is to use original or at least try.
Old 9th July 2014, 12:34 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Finch View Post
SGS. All of the suppliers are attempting that aftermarket supply. The idea is to use original or at least try.
I'm not sure that they are original SGS...
Silly question probably but isn't an aftermarket BDY56 more original than a different transistor (MJ15003)???
Old 9th July 2014, 12:27 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

This is where we started. It's just my opinion that MJ15003 are better transistors all round for audio and I would suggest as before, use them for both channels because they are fairly cheap, tough and replaceable - no issues with old, uncertain parts or poor quality copies if you buy from an authorized seller. They are also proven good in Avondale Audio's NCC200 Naim style amplifiers.

OK, other guys think that the good sound quality of NAP110 is in the original parts types which include the output transistors so you see pics of them with "aftermarket" BDY56 transistors fitted when replacements are needed. Some of these may be similar to the original parts but probably only the original part brands, such as SGS. There is resale value to consider too, if you wish to sell at a good price. If the parts are obviously not original brand or type, value will be less, no matter how good the sound.

The term "aftermarket" means much the same as generic. The parts meet or exceed the minimum general specifications for voltage, current, Ft and a few other important qualities but that does not make them equivalent to the original any more than a modern car that substitutes for a 40 year old one. Inside, the dies will be very different since manufacturing methods changed a lot over the decades. I hope I am making sense here.
Old 10th July 2014, 08:20 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Finch View Post
I hope I am making sense here.
Of course you are. Thank you again.
Just a last thing: do the MJ15003's need to be matched?
Old 11th July 2014, 03:59 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

No, you don't benefit much from matching because the Quasi-complementary design results in a very poor match at the crossover point anyway. This means that whatever you achieve by matching is overcome by that inherent non-linearity.

Actually, matching power transistors is not easy. You need a curve tracer which tests at currents of 1 amp or more for this, which is way too expensive and demanding for DIY or basic repairs. With modern parts, bought or taken from same lots in original boxes, matching will be close enough anyway. That's another reason why I suggest you buy from a proper On-semi agency where you can at least ask for same batch/pack parts. Again, it's not essential and some people have good results with random parts too. Note that genuine new parts are now marked MJ15003G. http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/MJ15003-D.PDF

Last edited by Ian Finch; 11th July 2014 at 04:11 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!