Maplin MosFET Amplifier Ga28f construction thread

Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi James,

I like the RCA connector, how deep does it extend under the board?
Where do you source it?
Cheers,

Jacques

Hello

The phono socket is a miniature type from RS components part number 411-071 I have attached the PDF datafile for you. There are 2 types gold plated or nickel plated .. I used nickel because the gold version was out of stock. also this size phono socket fits this size PCB very well .. normally I use a standard size socket for large PCB designs. Plus I was building a test bed for this amp to make sure all was OK before I commit to a full size finished case

Attachments

• 0900766b81582305.pdf
    413.7 KB · Views: 199
Unfortunately I am using TO-3P latfets and don't have enough clearance between board and heatsink. I used lego-like connectors instead.

Attachments

• maplins.jpg
    maplins.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 507
I am about to buy two second hand Ga28f modules.
One module has transistors of SML type and the other is original Hitachi.

Is the SML transistors full equivalent to the original Hitachi J50/K135 types?

Will these amplifier modules work with 22V transformers?

Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I am about to buy two second hand Ga28f modules.
One module has transistors of SML type and the other is original Hitachi.

Is the SML transistors full equivalent to the original Hitachi J50/K135 types?

Will these amplifier modules work with 22V transformers?

Hello yes these are equivalents .. but best to use as a matched pair from the original manufacturer supplier .. I always use 35v 0v 35v secondarys but this can be increased to 40v secs with the correct rated power mosfets

Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Ok a few pics of my little test bench before I commit to an expensive case, just to make sure all is ok. I have used a 300va 35v 0v 35v secondary winding toroidal transformer (5 amps on the sec) have used a k4700 protection module modified for single channel heavy duty. And a power supply that I have used for years with very good results and a old pair of nos MOSFETS .. please remember this is work in progress and not completed 100% yet will also add a earth lift switch to stop ground loops etc

Attachments

• IMG_0200.jpg
    IMG_0200.jpg
    700.7 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0201.jpg
    IMG_0201.jpg
    647.7 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0202.jpg
    IMG_0202.jpg
    558.2 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0204.jpg
    IMG_0204.jpg
    586.3 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0203.jpg
    IMG_0203.jpg
    507.3 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    561.8 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0206.jpg
    IMG_0206.jpg
    786.8 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0207.jpg
    IMG_0207.jpg
    527.6 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0208.jpg
    IMG_0208.jpg
    507.9 KB · Views: 148
Hi all,

I recapped my old monoblocks while looking a little at this thread.
There's probably room for improvement, so I thought I'd show the amp..

I changed the stoppers to 220R.
Put in 470u low ESR caps.
Changed feedback cap to a Muse bipolar 47uF
Changed the input cap (used to be 1uF) to a 10uF poly (The input cap and 2.2k res are swapped to fit them onto the board).
Changed earthing to star in front of the board
Changed L1 from 10 turns to 15 (bifilar due to wire constraints).
Bias twiddle (clamp ammeter on the thick red wire) to 100mA

Some of the documentation varies... the original design has L1 10 turns and speaker ground to the main cap centers, and a 50mA bias..
Here:
Mosfet Amplifier (EMM Jun 81)

But the article in the thread states 15 turns for L1. I doubt it's critical..

The PSU is a soft start, but it's not big on fuses ;). I designed and built it a while ago. I has an 'instant start' voltage reference, and only closes the relays (usually resistors feed the bridges) when the PSU voltage is close to what it should be. In this way it is safe to powercuts etc.

So the big caps go to the power mosfets only, the driver has it's own PSU. The idea was to help dynamics. It appears I liked caps back then, perhaps they were cheaper too ;)

With the new changes, if I plug an DAC directly in (The brilliant Apple USB-C headphone adapter) it's perfect, very nice, silent as needed...
... But if I use an old Proton pre-amp I get some mains buzz - I need to investigate that, as i don't notice any problem individually.
I doubt it's an earth loop as mains earth currently comes in via a 4.7R resistor (that I had spare - please advice the best earth decoupling method), and persists even when the amp is switched off.

Cheers.

Last edited: