SS amps with low heatsink requirements? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th June 2014, 07:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default SS amps with low heatsink requirements?

Hi all,

I want to make an ss amp but it seems like all of them require huge heatsinks and enclosures. All the firstwatt amps are recommended to have the 4U deluxe chassis for example...theres no way i can spend over 300 bucks on a huge metal box.

I realize that low heat means less power and im fine with that. The amp im using now is only 2x14w and i never turn it up past half anyway so its more than enough. Sound quality is more important than power.

Are there any amps i can make with a low heat signature/low footprint in general?
Old 7th June 2014, 07:40 PM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

ClassAB amplifiers generate much less heat than ClassA.
Old 7th June 2014, 08:15 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Class D is most efficient.
Buy a module off ebay.
Old 7th June 2014, 08:35 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ive looked into class d but the sound quality of a solid state is what im searching for. Are there any low power class a or ab amps that dont put out a lot of heat?

How much heat does the mini aleph put out?
Old 7th June 2014, 08:41 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Class AB all put out same heat they are about 60% efficient with 40% converted to heat in heatsink.
Class D is about 90% efficient.

Class d does seem to have got a bad reputation but thats probably due to poor implementations in the past.
I have designed class d amps and they sound every bit as good as class AB.
Old 7th June 2014, 11:32 PM   #6
wadest is offline wadest  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello goocher89, I designed all of the soundstream old school amps. my first questions are how much power are you looking for and what impedance will it be required to drive. 4 ohm, 2 ohm?
Old 8th June 2014, 10:40 AM   #7
sbrads is offline sbrads  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

A couple of quiet fans and a safety thermal circuit breaker (there's simple 2 wire mains ones, eg 240v 10A about 2) could save a lot of metalwork.
Old 8th June 2014, 03:32 PM   #8
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goocher89 View Post
Ive looked into class d but the sound quality of a solid state is what im searching for. Are there any low power class a or ab amps that dont put out a lot of heat?

How much heat does the mini aleph put out?
A decent quality Chip amp can /should sound better than 'that' amp.
Don't let the reverence for the designer distract you.
Not everything is outstanding .
That said, Ebay (erm China) is a sketchy place to shop for worth owning electronics.
Old 8th June 2014, 03:44 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Most of the Pass amps are very very good but as they are Class A they do need bigger heatsinks.

I think Bare is very misguided, the chip amps are mediocre at best, but in your application they might meet your requirements.

You can, as already suggested, run most Class A amps with reduced bias. This means that at the lower power levels and at the all important crossover region you will be in Class A but will switch to Class B earlier than the design is intended to work at.

The Pass F5 is a nice simple starting point, not the best of the Pass amps IMO but it's not too power hungry either.

If 25W is too big then look at the Hiraga or JLH, they push out about 8-10W so dissipate only about 20W of heat, both very creditable.

Personally I've got a Pass Aleph 4 which is a monster, pushing out 100W /Ch of pure Class A but with the penalty of over 400W of room heating to go with it, but I think it is the best amplifier that I have ever listened to.

IIRC the mini-aleph was developed for headphone listening so you might find it a bit disappointing.

Class D is an evolving art, it will get better, the examples that I have heard I didn't like. They will get better as that is the technology of the future.

Last edited by KatieandDad; 8th June 2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 8th June 2014, 04:12 PM   #10
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Yesss :-) No disrepspect to Fanboys intended.
But as even You admit, the Mini is not outstanding, by most yardsticks.
There are decent 3886 et all amps.
But they do needs be designed /built in the First world..
The secret ingredient

Always amazed by this amp is best arguements.
Erm.. on What speaker? Where? When?
Fairly important determinant factors.. typically far more so than the Amp itself

Simply because we are what the French refer to as Idiophiles.. doesn't mean we needs park common sense while in the Nave

Hide this!Advertise here!