TO3 direct heatsink

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2003
I suspect that glues cannot hold the device / heatsink together very tight so the thermal resistance with glue is higher than that with screws / bolts.

to3 devices tend to be higher powered devices so a little bit increase in thermal resistance can mean big increases in temp.

There are many possibilities, as long as you just keep the two center pins free from electrical connection to the heatsink....
It's "just" cooling!!! Meaning that if you had a waterteight connection on the two center pins, you could through the whole TO3 device in a bucket of water ;)

The matter that counts is how much heat you can atticipate from the TO3 device with your heatsink or cooling system.

I belive that you will be able to use both CPU and RAM cooling blocks for the TO3 device with good result... However some tests must be done... I'm thinking of using a CPU cooler for a ultra compact 40W Power Amplifier ;) But I haven't tested it yet

well from memory the die on a to3 is directly against the base, meaning through the bottom would be the best heat path :)
you could just use some of the arctic silver thermal paste that overclockers use on their cpus... it seems to keep their CPUs down about 2-6 degrees under 80watt loads with active cooling :)

Oh and the clamping pressure on the device itselt matters.. you will get a tighter press, and due to the not so strong material in which the base of these transistors are made of it will mate with the material of the heatsink, forming an even flatter surface

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.