Two new output stages. Have you seen before? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd June 2014, 06:48 PM   #1
mos57 is offline mos57  Italy
diyAudio Member

Talking Two new output stages. Have you seen before?

Hi guys,

about 2 years ago as a result of my work on the new phase splitter circuit, which, as you can learn more on my website, provides up to 4 output signals, therefore I thought as a natural evolution the possibility that it could provide in making new power stages.

So I developed some schemes of which the most interesting now I make them available to the people of the forum. In particular, these two schemes seem to me that those better condense and join finally the two sides of the same coin: the CIRCLOTRON circuit and the SEPP circuit.

I ask the experts and not on the forum to evaluate them and their point of view, which might be different from mine. Even a mathematical description would be very welcome, as well as you can suggest possible ways to fruitful use .

I would add only to say that the circuits have been simulated and are functioning.

Right now I'm busy to make old projects, so I'm happy if others in the forum going to employ one of these circuits into a new project and then return here to tell about satisfaction grade.

Best regards, Francesco.
Attached Images
File Type: png Fig_1_SEPP Circlotron.png.png (6.0 KB, 474 views)
File Type: png Fig_2_NP Circlotron.png.png (6.4 KB, 465 views)
Old 3rd June 2014, 09:50 AM   #2
BV is offline BV  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Try to search old REGENT amplifiers schematics, made in former GDR about 35 years ago, in "Vermona" factory. Nothing new, no invention...
I can not see any advantages over "normal" bridge configuration, only the complications with independent floating supplies .
Old 3rd June 2014, 09:53 AM   #3
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

is this "full bridge"?
Old 3rd June 2014, 10:07 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

No, maximum voltage swing across load is V1+V2, peak to peak.
Old 3rd June 2014, 11:45 AM   #5
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

the first one appeals to me, I may even have doodled something like this
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 3rd June 2014, 03:39 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BV View Post
Try to search old REGENT amplifiers schematics, made in former GDR about 35 years ago, in "Vermona" factory. Nothing new, no invention...
I can not see any advantages over "normal" bridge configuration, only the complications with independent floating supplies .
Is this on the attached schematic that you would refer to or what else?

There are more VERMONA REGENT amps.

Thanks for your comment, i did not know this manifacturer.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Vermona Regent 600N (2czesc).gif (66.5 KB, 350 views)
Old 3rd June 2014, 04:27 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi,
There is no ground reference. Is this a split load arrangement or is half of the semiconductors arranged as common emitter and the other half as common collector ?
Then - the term SEPP was made popular in the tube era when there was no PNP equivalent and one had to make clever arrangements to get a "complementary tube". SEPP should be avoided because it doesn't really refer to any certain design. I saw SRPP power stages, I saw white cathode followers, etc.. named SEPP.
Moving on to Fig. 1
Either one pair of transistors or one PSU is too much. Considering they're all equal (hfe, S, ri) then the first arrangement (Q1+Q2) is just a heat generator since the difference in current from both PSUs doesn't change. The second is just a parallel push pull amplifier (known as circlotron) with a added useless pair of transistors. The third one is the same as the first one. No change in load current. But this could be converted to a proper full bridge arrangement (one big PSU, not two) very easily.
I don't want to disappoint you, but keep focusing on proper existing designs. The transistor is "too" easy that one could design a completely revolutionary new & perfect design from scratch. This is not a Higgs Boson :-)
Regards, Simon
Old 4th June 2014, 08:50 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

BV.
can you post a VERMONA schematic that is similar to one of my circuits?

I'm awaiting for that.

What I attached in post 6 is a simple circlotron, otherwise what you said has no value, I'm sorry.
Old 5th June 2014, 05:13 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

The Vermona schematic you posted is exactly the same topology as your FIG.2. Two power transistors (paralleled NPN and PNP in your schematic do the same as one transitor..) and two floating PSU. You can not see it?
FIG. 1 can not work properly as is , only if two transistors always stays off, so they are unnecessary,
Quote:
with a added useless pair of transistors.
and result is FIG.2.
Old 5th June 2014, 07:08 PM   #10
jmd01 is offline jmd01  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BV View Post
What kind of complications with independent floating supplies do you mean?
Please, can you write more.
Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!