2sk1058 or Exicon lateral mosfets?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a choice to choose either 2sk1058 or Exicon lateral mosfets.
Which one will be best to use for higher bias class A application preferably at 22V 1Amp bias per fet or at 32V .6 bias per fet.

Im just considering the best sound quality so which one to choose?

the cob of the 2sk1058 is lower than the exicons so what about the other parameters to be considered?

I have used Hitachi, Exicon and other mosfets in a number of amps. If it helps you I find that the Exicon mosfets are the best sounding ones around today.

However if you can find some in an old amp, I find the Hitachi mosfets still produce the clearest sound across the whole spectrum form bass to treble. The Exicon mosfets are very close.

I am not sure why this is as the specs all seem very similar. I suspect that the Hitachi specs were more conservative then other companies specs.

The only difference I have found between the mosfets from different companies when testing mosfets is in the Threshold voltages. The Hitachi mosfets had very close matching on Gate Threshold voltage, to within 0.03v, on mosfets with the same batch number. Exicon and other makes show a wider gate threshold voltage variation of 0.35v between mosfets from the same batch.
Also, if it helps you, I find that the output mosfets seem to benefit from a driver stage with a higher current capability than you would expect and from using VAS and driver transistors with low capacitance.
Don

I have used Hitachi, Exicon and other mosfets in a number of amps. If it helps you I find that the Exicon mosfets are the best sounding ones around today.

However if you can find some in an old amp, I find the Hitachi mosfets still produce the clearest sound across the whole spectrum form bass to treble. The Exicon mosfets are very close.

I am not sure why this is as the specs all seem very similar. I suspect that the Hitachi specs were more conservative then other companies specs.

The only difference I have found between the mosfets from different companies when testing mosfets is in the Threshold voltages. The Hitachi mosfets had very close matching on Gate Threshold voltage, to within 0.03v, on mosfets with the same batch number. Exicon and other makes show a wider gate threshold voltage variation of 0.35v between mosfets from the same batch.
Also, if it helps you, I find that the output mosfets seem to benefit from a driver stage with a higher current capability than you would expect and from using VAS and driver transistors with low capacitance.
Don

Is the sound quality of Exicon is marginally better than the Hitachi or just little better? Im just making my decision to go with either Hitachi or Exicon... :)

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Don't forget there is also ALFET brand (Newark) to consider. These are the parent brand of EXICON parts from the same SEMELAB source. I have heard guys compare these as different even though they aren't. So really, even comparing with Renesas product, there is nothing in it. I've replaced Exicon with Renesas and been told to get rid of them by one user, so when I had refitted Exicon, he wanted to know when I was going to get on and do it because it still wasn't right like he remembered. In that case it was brand name familiarity because people think that way when they really can't tell.

Fit whatever brand takes your fancy and don't fret over mosfet silicon - the noticeable differences you can make are in your circuit design, power supply, other components, layout, bias and the driver circuits. If they're in a do-all chip, I guess you can't do a lot about that. :xfingers:

Last edited:
I have suggested a few times in the past that all these Lateral mosFETs come from the same factory.
So far no one in the industry has come forward to list the various factories where these are manufactured.

If they all come from the same process in the same factory then surely they all have the same specifications/parameters (with the typical variations that FETs have that are inherent to the process).

Even the packaging (from different brands) seems not to make much difference, plastic and metal packages are available with identical datasheets. There are some higher rated packages, but these seem to be either an extra ampere of Id, or dual dies inside.

Last edited:
Don't forget there is also ALFET brand (Newark) to consider. These are the parent brand of EXICON parts from the same SEMELAB source. I have heard guys compare these as different even though they aren't. So really, even comparing with Renesas product, there is nothing in it. I've replaced Exicon with Renesas and been told to get rid of them by one user, so when I had refitted Exicon, he wanted to know when I was going to get on and do it because it still wasn't right like he remembered. In that case it was brand name familiarity because people think that way when they really can't tell.

Fit whatever brand takes your fancy and don't fret over mosfet silicon - the noticeable differences you can make are in your circuit design, power supply, other components, layout, bias and the driver circuits. If they're in a do-all chip, I guess you can't do a lot about that. :xfingers:

reg exicons and semelabs they are from one and same fab. So i dont think it would sound different.

But my main concern about the Renesas vs the Exicons so thought to look at something apart from renesas.

But for me Renesas are very much in stock and exicons seem to have great reputation.

Agreed about all the other elements which makes the sonic quality.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
You are fretting again over over 1% differences when the 99% differences are the ones you should be concerned about.

You can alter sonic quality far more dramatically with the surrounding circuits than the brand of silicon - particularly mosfet power silicon. You can't buy "sonics" as components to solder onto a PCB. If there are differences to be had, it will be by their designed interaction within a particular circuit. If you really believe exotic or particular brand parts make for better sound you wouldn't be using Mosfets in the first place and neither would respected audio designers.

The circuit and the tweaking of it is where these elusive sonics lie. Get them and the basic part specifications right by circuit design and the various suitable brands, with their small differences, can be accommodated equally.

Don

Yes, and the best transistors for VAS and drivers/buffers are 2sa1541/sc3956, 2sa1406/sc3600 and 2sa1209/sc2911 (recommended by Profusion to be used with Exicons) with one driver/buffer for each mosfet (Stochino's patent) or 2sa1943/sc5171 with one pair. Using buffer stage with mosfets allows to minimize input capacitance problems (see Randy Slone).

cheers,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.