Very simple quasi complimentary MOSFET amplifier

There were four VSQA pcbs. Ranchu (Oz), DACZ (Phillipines), Thiago (Brazil), Phunk (South Africa) and last, Prasi (India). All were outstanding and very tidy, tight layouts and a credit to the original schematic. I particularly enjoyed Phunk's Paisley version, which looks like a psychedelic extravaganza, humorous and ironic. But the most most frequently used version was from DAZC, which was dense and elegant. All worked just fine, so you select what you want.... all the gerbers are available on this thread.

Looking back this was one of the most most versatile amps on this forum. There was design input from Ranchu, Bigun, Richard, XRK971, me, Ilizmn and others. On listening tests with particularly StillforGiven, XRK, and a few others it was described as very satisfying, and very musical, with strong bass and utter silence. It also showed huge depth of image and marvellous stereo field. There was even a full power version which gave more than 100W using FQA40N25 Fairchild mosfet and FJL4315 from OnSemi - just two output devices - run from up to 56V rails.

When Ranchu decided to build a Quasi, I was immediately interested. I'd just completed the NAKSA 80, and a couple of years before I'd been very ill and needed something to test my mind again after a stroke. Looking back, the VSQA was one of the best designs I ever saw, and significantly there were many minds in that schematic. And it was very simple!!

Recommended. It's a superb amplifier,

Hugh

I never new you had a stroke, that must have been rough. I’m glad you’re feeling better Hugh, take care of yourself mate.

Bix,

These are easily avail in Oz. In any larger city no issue at all, maybe around $5.
You do not have to get them from the US; I get most of my usual components in Oz and only get the unusual from the US, which has heavy shipping despite their 'free' shipping ads!

I never new you had a stroke, that must have been rough.

I never knew myself until I started to talk and found I had to learn speech again....... After six years (it happened in 2012) my speech is fine until heat weather or I'm very tired. But what never did get better was reading. I can not easily read now, and from time to time I mistake things I've read on this forum. I can write pretty well, but reading is a disaster and I can no longer read books now. But it's OK; I drink a lot of coffee and talk a helluva lot to compensate....... I guess I've lost a few sectors on my HDD, that's what happens if you have a head crash.....

BTW, any 150W nmos with 20A and 200V is all you need. Today I bought 160 NXT (Philips) nmos in TO247, rated at 150V, 300W and 73A!! They cost AUD70c EACH locally. They would be OK to replace the IRFP240, but of course you also need a pmos too, I suggest the FQA36P15.

Hugh

Last edited:
Looking at Mouser and digikey, IRFP240 is obsolete. What’s the recommendation for this? Is there a substitute or are they available somewhere else? :(

I got some IRFP250MPBF for my build from E14. I ran it through the sim and it seemed to behave alright there, and IRFP250 is marked on the schematic anyway.

Bix, PM me your address if you are still interested in the pair of Phunk boards.

Cheers

ROHS compliant parts are out of stock and 10000 odd seem to be on order and will be available by 29th Aug.

I am sure there must be some reputed shop within Australia stocking these.

Hugh had informed some (better) replacements somewhere in the thread (from memory), if I find it, will update here.
regards
Prasi

edit:
opps too late, already solutions provided by your fellow countrymen.

Last edited:
I've tonight tested the first two completed Phunk (Borg style) boards as far as pre-input testing.

No smoke and both boards bias nicely. The offset was tames from 450mV+ by changing D9 & D10 to the green diode and jumper configuration. DC offset now starts at about 70mV and drops to +/- 18mV (just drifts around).

When I switch off though, I notice a DC spike of 2.4DC at the speaker output. This is tested no input or output loads connected.

Would that be from the inductor? Is that going to be damaging for a speaker?

No the 2.4v thump is normal

Glad to hear that!

This build has been pretty enjoyable (big thanks to all those that put their time and energy into bringing this to the community)!

I'm looking forward to getting through the final stages of testing, assembling and actually listening to the boards :)

All that's left now is to chuck a sine wave through and see how it behaves and then hook up the workshop speakers for testing.

I'm currently using a dual 36V SMPS setup for testing - hopefully these aren't too noisy!

Attachments

• 20180525_202811.jpg
    20180525_202811.jpg
    553 KB · Views: 556
  • 20180525_211019.jpg
    20180525_211019.jpg
    695.2 KB · Views: 517