Creek 4240 Volume / channel issue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I have had my 4240 for a number of years. My first hifi amp ( and my only one to date! )

I thought I would start using it again as I cant afford a new amp at this point.

The issue is it fires up ok, i get sound etc., but the volume control is very scratchy ( comes through the speaker like there is dust in the volume dial when i turn it ) and the left channel has no sound - occasionally I will here a "pop" of music if i swivel the volume or balance back and forth. The right hand side sounds scratchy as I adjust the volume, but have better sound coming through.

Any ideas on where to start to fix this?

Is it as simple as cleaning the volume dial?

Appreciate any help or advice on a good quality repair service in the NYC or Brooklyn area.

Thanks

Chris

Last edited:
Most likely you need a new volume control pot. AFAIR, the volume pot in the 4240 is wired to the main board and relatively easy to replace, use a quality 20 kOhm dual log pot as a replacement.

As a temporary fix you can treat the pot with DeoxIt F5 spray or even a standard contact-cleaning spray. It may not work if the pot is physically damaged though.

Cheers

Alex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.