Power supply for power amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
.... I don't want to build an amp, I want a really high quality amp!!! I already have a power amp that is over $1400 and I am looking for a better one.
OK, so you were looking for retail advice?

That might come reluctantly on a DIY forum, where DIY design and build is the main game here and simple electronic assemblies like that one can actually perform as well as the glitzy high-end retail stuff, at the electronics level.

I can think of better forums to discuss high-end brands and models for purchase, though. Some carry private adverts for gear that might be interesting too.

OK, so you were looking for retail advice?

That might come reluctantly on a DIY forum, where DIY design and build is the main game here and simple electronic assemblies like that one can actually perform as well as the glitzy high-end retail stuff, at the electronics level.

I can think of better forums to discuss high-end brands and models for purchase, though. Some carry private adverts for gear that might be interesting too.
No no, Ivanlukic suggested a kit for $35, I just want to clarify I want to build something better than what I have already. I am looking to build something in YBL, Krell, Threshold type of quality (like in $3000 range type). As I response before, I don't want to spend the money to buy such an expensive amp, so I am thinking about building one.

I fully expect to spend like $1000 just for the parts if not more.

I don't need to find a brand I like, I already know what I like, the YBL 70W per channel amp that was like $4000 15 years ago.

In fact, I want to learn also why the big difference is sound of a really expensive power amp compare to a Onkyo/Harmon kardon etal. I look at some power amp schematics, they are like a discrete opamp with a lot of power transistors. Is it the transistors, power supply or other components? It is very hard to imagine it's all circuit design as it's so easy to copy the designs.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
.....In fact, I want to learn also why the big difference is sound of a really expensive power amp compare to a Onkyo/Harmon kardon etal. I look at some power amp schematics, they are like a discrete opamp with a lot of power transistors. Is it the transistors, power supply or other components? It is very hard to imagine it's all circuit design as it's so easy to copy the designs.
The cost difference is like any retail up-market pricing, where a product may only cost out at twice as much to make it look and perform better with more power and features but then due to lower sales volume, the price skyrockets to cover the significant penalties of lower volume and higher marketing costs.

Nelson Pass has the outlook of a very experienced designer and commercial manufacturer of high end amplifiers and fun stuff too. He has published several papers for DIYs here, such as posted earlier. You could do worse than read a few papers on the Passlabs forum for the comments he makes on design and performance as he proceeds through the subject material.

'Well worth the read if you can't face the standard texts from design experts like members Bob Cordell and Douglas Self. Whatever the choice, theirs would be fine volumes to read as an engineer, with some needed authority on what's really possible and what is often imaginary or the mind "filling in the gaps" in solid state amplification. :cool:

Almost all high end amp are over price. Some members on this forum can design and build an amp with comparable quality to high end amp on 1/5 price or less (not include labor cost, it is DIY :D).

Because you are EE graduated, I think you understand the math model of every components, then you should read the book that suggested in earlier on this thread. You should learn the audio amplifier measurement. Then you can try design an amp yourself.
After second or third experiences of designing audio amp, I believe you can design high end audio amp and start make money may be :D

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I have no issue building amps at all, or even design something.

What do you mean by available pcb? Is there any generic pcb I can buy for power amp?
I missed this post earlier, sorry. At any one time there are 10 or more DIY amplifier designs posted here in active threads. Many are opened by newbies toying with transistors and simulations, some are advanced research projects for the scientifically inclined and some are to recreate audiophile sound that the OP is looking for, whether it's in an ancient simple pile of parts that happens to sound good or an over-complicated piece of electronic assembly artwork.

Either way, there is usually a PCB associated with it, a pattern or gerber files or a group buy opened as a thread in the commercial forum, supporting the sale and distribution of PCBs and/or specialized parts for the electronics. That's if the designer or a keen supporter is inclined to volunteer the service. Here's an example based on the schematic I posted earlier: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/250097-vssa-through-hole-version-jason.html
and here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/251782-vssa-through-hole-version-jason.html
Otherwise, private businesses and individuals sell PCBs, kits and assemblies of their designs, like this popular and well received US example: 2sk1058 2sk2221 irfp9240 mosfet amplifier schematic
Chinese Ebay traders offer a wide range of clone amplifier kits, PCBs and even assembled amplifiers. Most are low budget designs by the vendor but some are clones, often very close electronically to some well known and very desirable electronics too. You just need to be aware of how close you need to be at the electronic design/PCB level and what the major item requirements of the design are and any likely modifications needed to bring your build up to a standard necessary for what you believe is going to result in the best sound quality.

There's no universal audiophile quality either, as members here demonstrate. Some think that if you use a huge 5U case, massive power supply and half a kilowatt output stage, that makes it high-end. Others think small, exquisite sounding creations jammed with boutique (exotic and overpriced) components are the way to go. Some like laboratory standard precision and others lots of sweet, tube like distortion or something in between. This is what DIY is about and why there is no guy in a suit strolling the virtual floor here, asking if sir is seriously considering buying the mega-expensive model in the showcase or disdainfully telling us what fabulous audio qualities we will miss out on with mere entry level audiophile electronics. :soapbox: Keep reading and enjoy!

Hi

I am new here and I am interested in building a SS power amp. I have been an EE for a long time and designed guitar electronics before, but I absolutely know nothing about audiophile electronics. My first question is about power supply.

1) What is the requirement of the power supply other than the obvious reason to supply power?

2) Is regulated power supply good for audiophile amp or you want to add some sag like in guitar amps?

I know this is kind of stupid question, in guitar amps, people don't like stiff supply, they want sag. So I don't want to take for granted one way or the other.

Thanks

1. commercial amps are based on engineering economics, they try to get away with the smallest psu that will do the job adequately.....you can go with that or come up with your own set of standards, like temp rise, regulation and cost you are comfortable spending......you can do it any which way you desire if you are diy'ing....subject of course to physics...

2. an electronic regulated psu is like having two amps in one....i have resisted that for so long, for me a a passive linear psu is sufficient....

so depending on what you want, you can have it as you please...:D

Attachments

• Burmester 933-MK2.jpg
    Burmester 933-MK2.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 475
This is quality of YBL or Krell......for $35?? I don't want to build an amp, I want a really high quality amp!!! I already have a power amp that is over $1400 and I am looking for a better one.

That L12 will get you typical best buy stereo receiver audio quality.

Some of the LME49810 ebay kits (below) or the "honey badger" (diya's kit),
will match or exceed many a 2K$ "audiophile" :D amp for hundreds (not thousands)
of dollars.
Don't let a cheap price fool you.
PS - the problem with the Ebay kits .... the designs/PCB's are often good , but the parts are
"dodgy" ! (junk - thats how they can sell so cheap).
OS

Attachments

• lm48910.jpg
    lm48910.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.