Power supply for power amp. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd April 2014, 05:11 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanlukic View Post
Alan,

There is no need to design amp from scratch. There is some very nice amps that will cover your needs (JM Lab speakers) in the kit form like VFA LJM L12, or as ready-made CFA pcbs like Jason's version of VSSA.
Thanks

Can you give me the link?
Old 2nd April 2014, 07:00 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
1) What is the requirement of the power supply other than the obvious reason to supply power?
Low noise (from the rectifiers and mains), low impedance (meaning low load-induced noise).

Quote:
2) Is regulated power supply good for audiophile amp or you want to add some sag like in guitar amps?
Yes, provided the regulator's up to snuff (not always a trivial task to achieve low noise and low impedance with active circuitry). Otherwise passive filtering (CLCLC....) is going to sound better probably.
Old 2nd April 2014, 07:49 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
Low noise (from the rectifiers and mains), low impedance (meaning low load-induced noise).

Yes, provided the regulator's up to snuff (not always a trivial task to achieve low noise and low impedance with active circuitry). Otherwise passive filtering (CLCLC....) is going to sound better probably.
How about switching power supply?
Old 2nd April 2014, 07:58 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Switching supplies can make great poweramp supplies, but there are noise challenges to overcome. They also tend to need a large value of output capacitance in order to provide the peak current requirements of amps. High capacitance, when composed of many paralleled small caps also provides excellent filtering when combined with series inductors.
Old 2nd April 2014, 08:42 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

So the bottom line is power supply for power amp can be very stiff and regulated as long as it's practical. The reason I keep asking is because I work with guitar amp I we actually want it sag!!!! This is very important to know.

thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 08:55 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Yes, I think the requirements are different. For an audio poweramp, we want it to preserve the character of the recording, whereas a guitar amp is very much part of the instrument, so imparts its own character.
Old 2nd April 2014, 06:06 PM   #17
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Build up a simple linear NON Regulated Power Supply Unit (PSU).

This consists of:
mains transformer
bridge rectifier
smoothing capacitor/s

If you want a single polarity supply, then a single secondary transformer and one capacitor are sufficient.

If you require a dual polarity supply, then a dual secondary, or centre tapped secondary is required and two capacitors.

Learn how to wire that up safely.

Learn how to connect a circuit to that safely

From that decide if you need anything better than that.
Old 2nd April 2014, 11:48 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
Build up a simple linear NON Regulated Power Supply Unit (PSU).

This consists of:
mains transformer
bridge rectifier
smoothing capacitor/s

If you want a single polarity supply, then a single secondary transformer and one capacitor are sufficient.

If you require a dual polarity supply, then a dual secondary, or centre tapped secondary is required and two capacitors.

Learn how to wire that up safely.

Learn how to connect a circuit to that safely

From that decide if you need anything better than that.
I have been an EE for 30 years designing analog, digital and RF electronics. I designed my own Guitar amp already. I am new to audiophile electronics, but I am pretty sure I can build any complicate circuit. I just want to know what is important and what's not.

As I posted before, I already have an Acurus 200W per channel power amp, anything I want has to be better than that, preferably something in YBL, Krell type of quality.

Anyone can give me link to power amp kit that is in the ball park of YBL and Krell quality? That will really save me time.

Last edited by Alan0354; 2nd April 2014 at 11:51 PM.
Old 3rd April 2014, 01:08 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

With an interest in high-end products but probably not the price ticket (like most of us here) you probably want to look at cloning the popular icons of the big name brands - and there are plenty of threads here covering almost every revered model there is. Simply search here or Google your favourite model and follow any promising threads. You wind up here for most DIY either way.

Maybe a thread begins with showing a build or using a PCB that's available and that makes life so much easier. It will cover the specific design aspects that may concern you and make that journey into your own design a more certain process. I believe it is a good beginning to start with a clone to get a feel for how commercial products are designed, constructed and the high reputations established. That way you don't wind up with a mediocre creation founded on the wrong priorities.

Parts sourcing, hardware and the major problem of obsolete designs and components for old products are still down to you, like any real DIY is. We can help with group buys on current threads and occasionally members have sources and will trade at the swap-meet and commercial forums, if you need to.

Easiest start is follow a thread or two of your favourite models and see what's going on - maybe rekindle interest of others in a dead thread, who have already been there and have something worthwhile to share about it.
Old 3rd April 2014, 04:14 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Finch View Post
With an interest in high-end products but probably not the price ticket (like most of us here) you probably want to look at cloning the popular icons of the big name brands - and there are plenty of threads here covering almost every revered model there is. Simply search here or Google your favourite model and follow any promising threads. You wind up here for most DIY either way.

Maybe a thread begins with showing a build or using a PCB that's available and that makes life so much easier. It will cover the specific design aspects that may concern you and make that journey into your own design a more certain process. I believe it is a good beginning to start with a clone to get a feel for how commercial products are designed, constructed and the high reputations established. That way you don't wind up with a mediocre creation founded on the wrong priorities.

Parts sourcing, hardware and the major problem of obsolete designs and components for old products are still down to you, like any real DIY is. We can help with group buys on current threads and occasionally members have sources and will trade at the swap-meet and commercial forums, if you need to.

Easiest start is follow a thread or two of your favourite models and see what's going on - maybe rekindle interest of others in a dead thread, who have already been there and have something worthwhile to share about it.
Yes, money is the biggest concern, but electronics is my hobby also. I am retired, so going out and spend $5000 for a power amp is a little steep!!! I have no issue building amps at all, or even design something.

What do you mean by available pcb? Is there any generic pcb I can buy for power amp?

Hide this!Advertise here!