My Blameless

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all

I've been interested in the Linn/Blameless topology for a while and wanted to try my hand "designing" one of these.

I've got some spare DX Blame MkIII amplifier board from the last group buy and thought I'd have a go at selecting my own component values that will result in a "reference design" that is entirely conventional in every respect. The schematic is based on what I've learnt from reading Cordell and Self, and what I've seen from the DIY projects here - notably the DX designs from Carlos and Kevin's recent LTT4 project.

The MkIII boards support:
- LTP input stage with currrent mirror and cascoded CCS
- EF2 output stage

I know this will bore seasoned members here; however, I would really appreciate your advice in fine tuning the C and R values.

thanks

Attachments

• CSH1.png
    CSH1.png
    37 KB · Views: 1,063
Last edited:
The Input 1uF DC blocker is in the wrong place.
It must go before the 47k.

Or move the 47k to after the 1uF.

R16 is tapped into the wrong end of R14.
The collector of Q10 drives the base stopper.

Reduce R13 to <=1k5
You have too much Vbias available with 2k2. Depending on actual Vbe of the transistors, you might find you can bias the output using just 1k0 or 1k1 for R13

R17 is far too high.
Try 1k0 to 2k0.

Add an output Zobel.

R10 is fed from the -ve rail, try increasing it's value substantially, or move it to Power Ground.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone - I will make the changes to the schematic tonight.

The boards I'm using can accomodate one or two diodes strings (or resistors) on the rails between the driver and front end. However most designs I've seen here and in books have nothing. Would there be benefit in using them?

Also there are a couple of extra locations for power supply decoupling (HF). Again in most of the Linn/Blameless designs they aren't used.

Attachments

• Dx Blame MKIII-Hx updated July, 28th - 2011.pdf
    109.6 KB · Views: 244
Andrew, I've made all the changes you suggested. Can you suggest any further improvements? What about diode strings in the power rails?

I've left all the small signal transistors as 2n5xxx for the time being because that's what I have available.

Attachments

• CSH1.png
    CSH1.png
    36.7 KB · Views: 504
VR in the multiplier is on the wrong leg.

These next three are my preferences.
I would allow for a link between Signal Ground and Power Ground.
Locate in the ground trace between the tappings for C6 & R10.
This link may have to pass some Fault Current from a faulty Source. So allow for Power Diodes in inverse parallel as well as the low value resistor.

I would also add more on board Decoupling.

The input transistors are 2n type.
The lead outs of BCxxx and 2sc/axxxx are different. What about a 4th pad to allow other transistors to be fitted?

Last edited:
Maybe add some RC filtering on the power rails between the output transistors and the rest of the circuit? And then a second RC filter between the VAS and the input LTP?

I'm a bit of a power rail freak. Whenever I have films and electrolytics paralleled I add a snubber across them. (1R + 1u). Some may disagree with this approach...

Last edited:
VR in the multiplier is on the wrong leg.

These next three are my preferences.
I would allow for a link between Signal Ground and Power Ground.
Locate in the ground trace between the tappings for C6 & R10.
This link may have to pass some Fault Current from a faulty Source. So allow for Power Diodes in inverse parallel as well as the low value resistor.

I would also add more on board Decoupling.

The input transistors are 2n type.
The lead outs of BCxxx and 2sc/axxxx are different. What about a 4th pad to allow other transistors to be fitted?

Is this what you had in mind? I can't fit extra (4th) pads because I'm working within the limitations of an existing PCB (DX Blame MkIII)

Attachments

• CSH1.png
    CSH1.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 467
Maybe add some RC filtering on the power rails between the output transistors and the rest of the circuit? And then a second RC filter between the VAS and the input LTP?

I'm a bit of a power rail freak. Whenever I have films and electrolytics paralleled I add a snubber across them. (1R + 1u). Some may disagree with this approach...

I could add an RC filter on the rails where the 220u caps are located, between the drivers and the VAS. What corner frequency do you suggest?

Yes, but maybe move C15 and C16 to the other side of the resistors R38 and R39 unless C15 and C16 are for the driver decoupling.

Corner frequency looks fine to me.

Can you add decoupling for each of the output transistors? So it can connect as close as possible to the output transistor collectors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.