Has any one built this 1KW amp? - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd August 2012, 10:08 AM   #141
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

contactor
and a soft start circuit.
Old 23rd August 2012, 10:18 AM   #142
sajti is offline sajti  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Farnell has MG series Semelab transistors in stock. The price is bit high (for me).

Sajti
Old 23rd August 2012, 10:38 AM   #143
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlator View Post
Hello Tony,
I've Entered All Information For Those Who Encounter Interest In Such Components,
I've Just Found This Site By Accident, I'll Try To Make Contact, As They Offer Email Address And Other Contact Information.
Just Post The Information Because Sounds Very Good To Start A DIY Project With Such Hi-Power Components....

Cheers...
hi, were you able to make contact? maybe they would like to give samples to vedmitraa so that he can try out in his amps.....

vedmitraa,

you may want to use single cotton covered magnet wires if such is available to you, simplifies insulation imho....cotton tapes over your primary coils is good....
Old 23rd August 2012, 04:02 PM   #144
diyAudio Member

Question WTH!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
contactor
and a soft start circuit.
Just Wondering What Kind Of Protections Can Withstand Such Amplifier, Which Will Be The Bias Current Set-Up At Idle, Amount Of Capacitance On PSU And Current Demand On Wall's Socket At Full Power...
Old 23rd August 2012, 04:13 PM   #145
diyAudio Member

Talking Here's The Phone Number Once Again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
hi, were you able to make contact? maybe they would like to give samples to vedmitraa so that he can try out in his amps.....

vedmitraa,

you may want to use single cotton covered magnet wires if such is available to you, simplifies insulation imho....cotton tapes over your primary coils is good....
Tel: +44(0)1455 552505
Fax: +44(0)1455 552612
Email: sales@semelab-tt.comLeicestershire LE17 4JB, UK.Email: sales@magnatec-tt.com. Website: www.magnatec-tt.com
OnSemi Can And Will Provide Samples Of MJL4281A/4302A/MJE15034/35 They Are A Very Good High Power Devices....
Best Regards....
Old 23rd August 2012, 04:22 PM   #146
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Just Wondering What Kind Of Protections Can Withstand Such Amplifier, Which Will Be The Bias Current Set-Up At Idle, Amount Of Capacitance On PSU And Current Demand On Wall's Socket At Full Power.
Is that a question or a statement?
Old 23rd August 2012, 10:10 PM   #147
diyAudio Member

Question Just Asking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
Is that a question or a statement?
If I'm Wondering, It Should Be A BIG Question,
No Matter If I Have A Very Close Idea About The Answer Tough, There's Some Constructing & Testing Procedures That Requires Special Care Like Well Designed VAS Circuit, Properly Biased Main Output Transistors, Proper Heat Tracking Method As Well As Proper Cooling Of Output Stage, Not To Mention To Observe The SOA Of Transistors Elected For The Task Very Carefully, Plenty Output Transistors Doesn't Necessary Mean Lots Of Power As There Are More Things To Take Into Consideration, Better Go With Class "H" For This Kind Of Power, But This Is Just My Point Of View...

Cheers...

Last edited by kimberlator; 23rd August 2012 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Correct Information !
Old 24th August 2012, 12:18 AM   #148
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
If I'm Wondering, It Should Be A BIG Question,
No Matter If I Have A Very Close Idea About The Answer Tough, There's Some Constructing & Testing Procedures That Requires Special Care Like Well Designed VAS Circuit, Properly Biased Main Output Transistors, Proper Heat Tracking Method As Well As Proper Cooling Of Output Stage, Not To Mention To Observe The SOA Of Transistors Elected For The Task Very Carefully, Plenty Output Transistors Doesn't Necessary Mean Lots Of Power As There Are More Things To Take Into Consideration, Better Go With Class "H" For This Kind Of Power, But This Is Just My Point Of View...

Cheers...
BIG an understatement, HUMONGOUS is more appropriate....

if he is not doing sine wave testing and will just make music, he can probably get away with the toroid that he has.....

Rod Elliot came up with a design here...Project 117

despite the warnings about
Quote:
One flash and you're ash !
people still take it seriously....
Old 24th August 2012, 03:20 AM   #149
diyAudio Member

Exclamation Project 117 Certainly A Very Powerful Amp But....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
BIG an understatement, HUMONGOUS is more appropriate....

if he is not doing sine wave testing and will just make music, he can probably get away with the toroid that he has.....

Rod Elliot came up with a design here...Project 117

despite the warnings about people still take it seriously....
Yeah, That's The Right Word, And For Rod's Design Let Me Tell You, It Works, And It's Very Powerful Indeed, I've Built The Project 117 And States 1500W @4 Ohm, Believe Me, This Design Worth The Effort, As Long As You Make Some Arrangements In The Bias Circuitry, The Circuit As Per Schematic Will Not Work Just Because Of That Detail, If You Apply Power Following Schematic You'll Certainly Blow Up The Output Stage Transistors, Once You Resolve The Little Puzzle And Get 150mv Across Driver's Emitter Resistor It Will Perform Powerful, Stable And Reliable With Lots Of Headroom, As Stated, With +-130VDC, +-135VDC Rails, And I Didn't Use Mj15024/25, But MJL4281A/4302A, 14 Devices Per Rail Including Drivers, Massive 2Kva Xformer, Decent Capacitance Rating 12-10,000uf -160V-Large-Can-Type Caps And BIG Fan Cooled Heatsink.
Very Good To Try, And Somewhat Expensive Believe Me....

Cheers...

Last edited by kimberlator; 24th August 2012 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Correct Information !
Old 24th August 2012, 04:44 AM   #150
diyAudio Moderator

you know, i still entertain thoughts of building a big one myself, but not this BIG....and i thought i was crazy.....glad to know someone crazier....

Hide this!Advertise here!