TEAC AG 4200 relays?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone know where I can find TEAC AG 360 relays or an equivalent? I have a TEAC AG 4200 with intermittent sound that punches through when I turn the volume up! I have changed relays in dedicated amplifiers before but not on an integrated circuit or a A/V Unit! Is the relay a solid state chip? I have not bought the service manual for it yet; but will soon. If any one is familiar with this junk! It is more of a challenge than anything else. My NAD 2200PE Amplifier was way easier than this thing. :mad:

Thanks in advance!

I can't stand the way they build wrap-around chassis multi-board receivers with no bottom plate these days. But no, they don't use solid state relays. At least not commonly. Speaker relays are highly interchangeable, though. Just have to match pinout, coil voltage, and the same or higher contact current.

I have the service manual and there are no relays. There is a power protection circuit and the CPU. What are the chances the CPU is garbage? Then again the transistors turn on so the unit goes into STBY mode! What is the life expectancy of a transistor? This unit was a salvage from the 1996 in my closet! In other words I have not been in my closet since 1996! My two question to the people who will help Dorthy get to Oz is...does the power protection circuit behave like a power protection relay going funk? The second question is does this power protection circuit include the CPU? As it is fine and I hate the double EEs who designed this PCB and made Dorthy a HOMICIDAL MANIC!

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The CPU or actually MCU, controls everything from volume to what is selected and what the FM channel strength is. If that device has retained the programming and is doing it's thing, it wont be a problem but the supplementary controller chips that step through the volume settings, tone etc. might. There could be separate controllers for the multi-channel protection management too. It gets a bit complex and unfathomable in there without some knowledge of how the totally electronic systems in HT receivers are designed and what to expect of them, performance wise. Most are pretty crude in audio quality terms but they make up for it in the multi-channel effects and features. They still suffer from the same heat, power and breakdowns that all power electronics have, whether 1950s germanium or 2014 HT.

Unless you have a strong attachment to this beast, give it to a guy who is keen to experiment and has time and resources to test the functions properly with instruments. It could just as well need a capacitor replacement and overhaul after 20years. It's probably more likely the condition that needs dealing with than the silicon, assuming the power chips are OK and the programming is still intact after the extended storage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.