Unique CFA 120/230W amp

I noticed when I simulated this amp I did it with 4 ohm load so the THD is valid for double output power on 4 ohm load, here it is.

Attachments

• 120W-TT-CFA-triple-TPOIC-efVASdiode-2-sch.png
    120W-TT-CFA-triple-TPOIC-efVASdiode-2-sch.png
    91.4 KB · Views: 658
  • 120W-TT-CFA-triple-TPOIC-efVASdiode-2-LG.png
    120W-TT-CFA-triple-TPOIC-efVASdiode-2-LG.png
    136.7 KB · Views: 636
I noticed when I simulated this amp I did it with 4 ohm load so the THD is valid for double output power on 4 ohm load, here it is.

I have some question regard the parts and part values:

- Value range for: R31, R32, R33, R34, R36, R62 (2.2 ohms now)
- Value range for: R13 (3.3 ohms now)
- Value range for: R12, R45, R46, R47, R48 (6.8 ohms now)
- P1 value is 1K1 so it must be 2K trimmer
- What is 2SC2240/2SA970 alternative.
- What is 2SC3503/2SA1381 alternative. 2SC3423/2SA1360 ok?
- R37. I think i must be a high watt resistor, right?
- Does C34 needed?
- Does thermal track NJL3281 && NJL1302 transitors will be use in this design?

I have some question regard the parts and part values:

- Value range for: R31, R32, R33, R34, R36, R62 (2.2 ohms now)
It is simulated only not built and the value was chosen to get best PM and GM

- Value range for: R13 (3.3 ohms now)
This value gives best overshoot/capload ratio, it is not to critical

- Value range for: R12, R45, R46, R47, R48 (6.8 ohms now)
R12 not critical, the rest as in the schematic

- P1 value is 1K1 so it must be 2K trimmer
Yes

- What is 2SC2240/2SA970 alternative.
2SC1845/2SA992

- What is 2SC3503/2SA1381 alternative. 2SC3423/2SA1360 ok?
Yes

- R37. I think i must be a high watt resistor, right?
Yes, min 5W, do it by paralleling 2W metal film 1% resistors

- Does C34 needed?
If your source or preamp does not have any output DC offset no, but otherwise yes

- Does thermal track NJL3281 && NJL1302 transitors will be use in this design?
Can be used any type of the ONSEMI TT transistors

I have another question: I don't understand how to connect the DTTD diodes ( those diodes in output transitors? ). I saw there are four in the spice image but not sure which is which.

Use two from NPN/PNP output transistors for the bias spreader and other two between the drivers emitters. Do it as you think is better for the layout. You can look how I did it in my VFA TT TMC amp.

Here are two amps, one is CFA with low impedance feedback network connected to the low impedance negative input, other one is the same amp but with high impedance negative input and thus with high impedance feedback network. The Loop Gains look very similar, distortion, PM and GM are very similar.
Does second one became a VFA or is still CFA??
Damir

Attachments

• 120W-TT-CFA-triple-TPOIC-efVAS-diode-LG.jpg
    120W-TT-CFA-triple-TPOIC-efVAS-diode-LG.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 744
  • 120W-TT-CFA-triple-TPOIC-efVAS-diode-highimpedance feedback-LG.jpg
    120W-TT-CFA-triple-TPOIC-efVAS-diode-highimpedance feedback-LG.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 696
Here are two amps...
Loop Gains look very similar, distortion, PM and GM are very similar.

Hi Damir

Confirms several points, that "CFA" is a poor description.
And that it's all in the Loop Gain;)
I am interested in rational "CFA" optimisation but previous threads, despite efforts from Andrew, have been too full of unsubstantiated rants to learn much from.
Except your nice work, of course, you have any links or references to useful information?

Best wishes
David

Hi Damir

Confirms several points, that "CFA" is a poor description.
And that it's all in the Loop Gain;)
I am interested in rational "CFA" optimisation but previous threads, despite efforts from Andrew, have been too full of unsubstantiated rants to learn much from.
Except your nice work, of course, you have any links or references to useful information?

Best wishes
David

Hi David,
Thank you for your nice word.
I am not sure what you seek, I am still in the dark trying to understand myself. PM your email I will send you something (you probably have that already).
Best regards
Damir

I am not sure what you seek...

Thanks to Bob, D. Self and the work they built upon, for VFA we have a nice explanation of the basic blocks of the amplifier.
So we understand well the basic LTP, the effect if we add a Current Mirror or a cascode to it, the effect of an EF buffer in the VAS and so on.
For a "CFA" much is similar, especially the Output Section, but there are some different decisions in the earlier sections.
No Current Mirrors but perhaps current sources in the IPS, perhaps the lower impedance feedback point favours one type of compensation implementation compared to another.
Some of this was discussed in the "CFA" threads but the useful discussion was buried under so much noise.
Clearly you have made some excellent choices in your own circuit so I hoped for your ideas.

Best wishes
David

Thanks to Bob, D. Self and the work they built upon, for VFA we have a nice explanation of the basic blocks of the amplifier.
So we understand well the basic LTP, the effect if we add a Current Mirror or a cascode to it, the effect of an EF buffer in the VAS and so on.
For a "CFA" much is similar, especially the Output Section, but there are some different decisions in the earlier sections.
No Current Mirrors but perhaps current sources in the IPS, perhaps the lower impedance feedback point favours one type of compensation implementation compared to another.
Some of this was discussed in the "CFA" threads but the useful discussion was buried under so much noise.
Clearly you have made some excellent choices in your own circuit so I hoped for your ideas.

Best wishes
David

Hi David,
What do you think about to open a new thread where we can discus, suggest, criticize ..a CFA building blocks: input part, VAS/TIS, compensation and OPS even if an OPS could be quite similar to those used in the VFA, but as VAS/TIS is symmetric there could be some improvements/simplifications. I suggest to start with complementary symmetric circuit.
I will try to show how I decided what circuits to use, but I need a time to collect all my different simulation burred in to many files.

Best regards
Damir