Phase Linear - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th March 2014, 12:11 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Phase Linear

I would like to bridge my old Phase Linear 700 Series II if I can?
Thanks, Al.
Old 6th March 2014, 04:15 AM   #2
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

Sure, what kind of 16Ω speaker are you trying to drive that needs 1KW?
Old 6th March 2014, 03:08 PM   #3
wg_ski is offline wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

I think he's trying to say that it isn't safe. Too many people have tried to use them as 'pro' amps and had them die spectacularly with 4R loads. If you're going to be gentle with it it's probably ok, but weren't you asking about subs for heavy metal?

If yours has the original PL909's in it DON'T. If you replace them with MJ21196's (and 95's if you have a complementary version) it's OK in a *home* environment. The 66546 drivers could also use the upgrade if you do this.

To bridge, you need to out-phase the two inputs. The easiest way is to drive the whole thing with a balanced XLR signal. Drive one channel with the hot side and the other with the cold. Ground is common. If there is ANY DC offset at all, capacitor couple with a couple of 10uF polys as there are no input caps on these amps. Put the gain controls all the way up and leave them there. You may even want to disable the pots - if one gets turned down and that side of the amp doesn't get driven as much you will fry the outputs in that side.

And keep a fan on it. Back in the day (DJing with these things) we had a parody rap song about someone in the biz who was "too cool to use a fan on his Phase Linear".
Old 6th March 2014, 05:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Second the "don't" message

I have a Phase Linear 700, using it at home at reasonable levels. Never had a problem with it, but it's seriously challenged in the heatsink area. I've seen more heatsink on 200w amps....

If you really need to put 1000 watts, you need an amp designed to do that. This one isn't.
Old 6th March 2014, 06:30 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

Inappropriate posts removed. Personal comments are not allowed. Please read the rules.
Old 6th March 2014, 09:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the great info! I've seen those "upgrade kits" on ebay for the Phase Linear. Is that something you would recommend I do? This amp is a surviver from my old rock band in the 1980"s. We had eight 700 Series II's. Some nights those two racks would smoke like a maple sugar shack! It boasts some scars but still rocks (lost it's 'love handles' though)! It now resides in my home Hi Fy "Frankenstereo" with two 4" boxer fans.

Yes that's me. I make it power my metal sub. I've always fed it an 8 ohm load and so far (25 years) so good. Like a Timex...takes a lick'in and keeps on tick'in. LOL

It's been staring at me all these years with it's big sad red eyes, so I thought I would take it for a nice walk across the bridge.

Hey wg_ski...could you be my 'go to' guy for PL questions? You seem to know your way around them quite well, Doc.

Thanks, Al.
Old 6th March 2014, 09:34 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hey jplesset, sounds good, don't it! Are you driving your whole system with it? I use mine for the sub. I use my Phase Linear DRS 400 on my low mid TL 12's. An old JVC on the upper mids and my old Vector Research on the tweets. Sounds like a Theme Park now don't it?

Thanks from your PL brother, Al.
Old 6th March 2014, 09:46 PM   #8
wg_ski is offline wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

Don't buy the upgrade kits. You'll just as likley get fake transistors as real ones. Only buy transistors from authorized distributors, unless the seller is willing to let you pop the cover on a couple of them to verify authenticity before you buy any real quantity.

If yours are surviving after band use, you've probably got the ones with MJ15024's in them. The 400's we had were a little less prone to blowout - but it could still be done. We used to put 2SD424's in them (can't do that with a 700 though, you need the Motorolas) and they'd never fail again no matter how hot they got. There are also a couple of resistors that would cook the PCB over time, even idling, and those would need attention.

Other than a lot of watts for little money, those "big sad red eyes" were definitely part of the charm. And the clip indicator that looks like Pac-Man when it's going full tilt.
Old 10th March 2014, 10:46 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I found this today. Not sure if it's what I need and I can't find any specs for it:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SM-1.jpg (167.6 KB, 145 views)
Old 11th March 2014, 12:20 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hey, "Lost". At present, I'm actually using my PL to drive my Kef 101s, and an even older Sony 3200f on the subs. It's a big room, and the subs are 4 x 10" closed box, distributed. Crossover done in the PC along with MPD to run the audio.... No budget for upgrades...

Hide this!Advertise here!