What is Monaural, Dual mono, stereo in fact?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

Only as a matter of clearing my head, what is Stereo, Dual mono and monaural?

I know that dual mono means, 2 amps, 2 PSU
Monaural is the same thing?
What is Stereo?

All this questions refer to amplifier section.

My AX-1070 what kind of matter is, in terms of amplifiers?

Thank you!

Stereo is a derived mix of mono source material in a recording studio created during the mixdown process. Microphones, guitars, instruments etc are inherently mono sources. By using a mixing console and panning each separate mono source to various spatial positions between the two channels of the stereo mix buss a stereo field is created. It is a purely derived sound field.
Dual mono is merely two separate or similar mono sources played back on two different channels and speakers. There is no stereo effect.
Mono of course is just mono sources played back on one single channel and speaker.
Your AX1070 is a stereo amp (L/R)

Joined 2010
Paid Member
With respect, the term "dual mono" is widely used in Hi-fi circles to describe a stereo amplifier built as 2 complete, electrically separate amplifiers within the one case - functionally the same as a stereo amp, but having 2 power supplies, 2 transformers etc. and no common signal wiring.

The purpose is to ensure the absence of crosstalk and the influence of supply sag at all frequencies, whilst retaining the cost advantages and simplicity of a single case. Many High-end and DIY amps are of this form.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
.....The photo and elsewhere on the thread shows a Very simple and inexpensive way to have dual mono despite using 1 transformer and 1 power supply board.
That's a stereo chip amplifier kit, whether purchased all on one PCB or using separate PCBs. You can build that or any separate PCB layout design amplifiers in Mono form (Monobloc), Stereo or dual Mono but the difference is all in the number of PSUs, and the degree to which they are electrically separated. The only circuit in common for either Dual Mono or Monobloc amplifiers should be PE (protective earth or chassis ground) which should not be coupled to signal ground in any event. In most cases though, the only common connection will be the inevitable unbalanced signal ground.

Last edited:
So basicaly as I understood before as a more upfront to every ones touch, channel separataion is what is brought into question here disregarding technicalities of build, 120db in most cases for the dual mono amplifiers and for a good streo amplifier 110db. I do not know of agreater or less value han 120db for the dual mono type amplifier.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
You could assume that because an amplifier looks to have separate boards for each amplifier, then it must be Dual Mono, but you could be wrong. Many stereo amplifiers are constructed with separate power amplifier boards, just to keep them close to where the heatsinks are located. This is about electrical separation, and it may be achieved just as well on 1 board.

Your second statement is more correct, where you simply suggest that the 2 audio amplifiers and their power supplies are electrically separate. Obviously, that also applies to using 2 separate Mono amplifiers.

For illustrations, you might start by looking at pics of Goldmund amplifiers and check their internal arrangements. They are not always what they seem and of course, there are many hi-end brands that feature this type of construction too.

So in the end as I understand, stereo does dual mono's job in big serries amplifiers from good Trademark names(producers of them) dual mono being the next step up for those who want to have less cross talk for theyr expressive in reproduction, quality build speakers? After this one the next step would be dual mono with separate pre amplifier, power amplifier, let's say Kenwood Basic C2 control amplifier and M2 Power amplifier, separate power blocks with separate pre amplifier and so on!

I will take issue with djmeverett's statement that "it is a purely derived sound field". Some stereo recordings are done with paired microphones, and do capture a stereo sound field that is not "purely derived".

Stereo is not a natural sound field either way. When you use a stereo mic setup to record something it is still a fictitious derivative of the real thing the way our ears actually hear sound in time and space. But yeah you can have a X/y M/S paired mic setup that capture a sound field. Those two mics still are placed on two separate mic channels in the L/R mix buss.
Binaural sound would be the more natural way in which we actually hear and process sound naturally. Which is a technique of allowing sound to arrive at each ear. Typically you would use a binaural "head" with microphones placed at the ear positions. You can then move the head around recording the sound or you could keep the head fixed and have sound travel towards you or around you etc. to capture.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
So in the end as I understand, stereo does dual mono's job in big serries amplifiers from good Trademark names(producers of them) dual mono being the next step up for those who want to have less cross talk for theyr expressive in reproduction, quality build speakers?.....
Don't be distracted by the identity of commercial products, prices and generalisations about what different types of products should be like. There are some good and bad amplifiers of all types across a wide range of prices. I have seen amplifiers built as dual mono because it it was cheaper to build 24,000 amplifiers that way than 12,000 stereo versions. Unfortunately, any benefit of lower crosstalk was lost in the crappy sound quality. :rolleyes:

But yes, they do the same job and if you are talking of genuine high quality and comparable products, the benefits of dual mono over stereo will hold true. Building DIY amplifiers as dual mono is the easist way to improve stereo performance right across the audio range. 2 x Mono or Monobloc amplifiers were once normal for professional use long ago. In fact, that's how studios and broadcast facilities were constructed. It meant easy maintenance, smaller size, mass etc. for handling. Then it also became cool for high end products. (anything labelled professional is cool to some guys). I don't believe there is any significant technical benefit. It's a "looks more impressive" issue to me, and you still need a rack width or depth to fit them unless placed right at the speakers.

By necessity, Preamplifiers can't be completely separate without independent control systems too but their grounding and power supplies are easier to isolate in effect, since at such low signal current, their supplies can be regulated and filtered to extreme degrees. As long as the signal circuitry is separated adequately, the crosstalk can be as good as the amplifiers. It may also result in amazingly expensive preamps, though. Perhaps it would be much better to just use 2 x volume controls and nothing else. :)

Stereo is not a natural sound field either way. When you use a stereo mic setup to record something it is still a fictitious derivative of the real thing the way our ears actually hear sound in time and space. But yeah you can have a X/y M/S paired mic setup that capture a sound field. Those two mics still are placed on two separate mic channels in the L/R mix buss.
Binaural sound would be the more natural way in which we actually hear and process sound naturally. Which is a technique of allowing sound to arrive at each ear. Typically you would use a binaural "head" with microphones placed at the ear positions. You can then move the head around recording the sound or you could keep the head fixed and have sound travel towards you or around you etc. to capture.

Hi,

Your full of the proverbial. Real stereo in not just pan potted mono,
it includes phase in simple stereo miked recordings. Whilst a lot
of commerical music is essentially pan potted in the mix, the
multitude of effects applied add a lot of phase information.

Binaural recording is nonsense for speaker playback.

You don't understand the word fictitious. There
is nothing fictitious about a stereo soundfield.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Hi,

Your full of the proverbial. Real stereo in not just pan potted mono,
it includes phase in simple stereo miked recordings. Whilst a lot
of commerical music is essentially pan potted in the mix, the
multitude of effects applied add a lot of phase information.

Binaural recording is nonsense for speaker playback.

You don't understand the word fictitious.

rgds, sreten.

I agree with speaker playback of binaural and please enlighten me with your opinions and definitions...
"Real" stereo again?....it's an illusion not real!
The rest of it is audiophoolery!

Here is TDA7297, a stereo amplifier chip with single rail power, adapted to Dual Mono with only one power supply. It has a diode for series element and then a parallel pair of caps, for left. . . and another copy for right. The left-right "y" splitter is the diodes (which run on DC power). The power input is 16VDC.
402959d1393670345-what-heck-its-less-than-lunch-img_8867.jpg

Photo credit: Trileru's TDA7297 amplifier is shown in that picture.

Stereo separation is a convenient bonus but not the main point. The main point (regardless of the number of channels) is actually a CRC-like filter that doesn't waste bass slam dynamics into a resistor. For example, a bass tone from the left channel cannot deflate the charge in the right channel decoupler caps. When configured as shown, it has a noteworthy dynamic punch. So, that particular TDA7297 is actually able to play both loud and clear.

I just didn't want anyone to think that high quality power filters or dual mono was either expensive or complicated. As shown in the photo, these matters are rather easy and definitely not expensive.

Hi,

Stereo is what it is. A stereo soundfield is not fictitious.

rgds, sreten.

sreten...I only used the term "fictitious" to illustrate stereo in a mixed down recording which is typically made up of mono sources using effects and panning to achieve a L/R stereo space....that was my only meaning.
I wasn't trying to imply that is the only method, or that the "effect" isn't real.
It is certainly real, but it is a trick to our ears and brain.
Maybe "natural" would have been a better term to use...

All sound is inherently mono in nature, sound is generated from single sources. There is no such thing as a "natural" stereo sound.

All microphones, even 2 matched pairs of a stereo mic pair are 2 mono sources.
That was just my way of explaining to the OP.
The idea of mono blocks with separate power supplies etc is really only a technical design feature and doesn't necessarily mean or have anything to do with "dual mono".
If the source material is in stereo using mono blocks doesn't produce "dual mono". There will always be some content from the left that is heard on the right and vice versa.
IMHO if you took 2 independent mono sources and played each through a mono block each feeding separate speakers I think that could be called "dual mono". I'm sure a mono source fed to both amps could also be called that.

I may be completely wrong on this so I don't want you to think I have any know it all ego or any grudge or animosity against you or your comments. This was just what I've always known to be true...:)

If the source material is in stereo using mono blocks doesn't produce "dual mono". There will always be some content from the left that is heard on the right and vice versa.
Pardon me sir, but the existence of centerpoint content does Not make dual mono impossible.

Visualize an ordinary 4 lane road with the painted stripes present. That's like dual mono. Now remove all of the stripes so the cars slam into each other with excessive wreckage and noise. That's stereo.

In dual mono, high current crosstalk is prevented from afflicting the other channel. Or in stereo, high current crosstalk blasts away at the other channel causing much distortion and loss of realism.

Last edited:
Pardon me sir, but the existence of centerpoint content does Not make dual mono impossible.

Visualize an ordinary 4 lane road with the painted stripes present. That's like dual mono. Now remove all of the stripes so the cars slam into each other with excessive wreckage and noise. That's stereo.

In dual mono, high current crosstalk is prevented from afflicting the other channel. Or in stereo, high current crosstalk blasts away at the other channel causing much distortion and loss of realism.

Okey dokey....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.