Torrodoil core selection - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2003, 03:17 PM   #1
palesha is offline palesha  India
diyAudio Member

Default Torrodoil core selection

We wish to design one SMPS DC to DC upconvertor. i.e. 12VDC to +/- 35 VDC @ 5A. for caraudio use.
Want to use use most compact torrodoil core. Guide me what r the most important technical parameters to be seen while selecting the core. The osc. frequency will be 50-65khz.
MP
Old 31st December 2003, 09:07 PM   #2
The one and only

Outfits like Dexter/Permag put out really nice catalogs of
different product lines and some nice application notes.
I learned most of what I know from those.

www.dextermag.com
Old 1st January 2004, 12:49 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Dexter is a good source. I also like Mag-inc.
I like to design with PQ-cores, as they are fairly well shielded and are easier to wind and mount. You might consider 100kHz as you can realize a nice reduction in core size for little trouble. What is you topology?
Old 1st January 2004, 09:05 AM   #4
palesha is offline palesha  India
diyAudio Member

I wish to use sg3525 ic for SMPS circuit with 65khz osc frequency. I am from India. Here we r unable get torrodoils cores for the above purpose easily. hence i hv to import it from Taiwan or Japan. So looking to analyse & select the proper torrodoil or any oether suitable core.
MP
Old 1st January 2004, 09:54 AM   #5
subwo1 is offline subwo1  United States
diyAudio Member

I would suggest ferite as a good core material. At a given frequency, the size of the core needed generally depends on the mass of magnetic content indicated by the permiability figure. If you use a core with a in the 1000 range, I wouldn't expect you to have a problem with core saturation if the size is at least 1 1/2" or 3cm. Admittedly, I just purchase any ferrite cores I find at a good price and try them out to see if they work. One helpful thing is that going to a larger size like 2" does not usually cause a size problem for DIY, but it makes winding and experimenting much easier and also procides more insurance against saturation.
Old 3rd January 2004, 05:46 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default hi

how much current capacity are u looking for after the dc/dc conversion to your amp ?
Old 3rd January 2004, 07:54 AM   #7
ddog is offline ddog  Finland
diyAudio Member

Hi, this is bit threadjacking but so closely related to this i'm gonna ask: I have some ferrite toroids from old computer psu:s, about 1" dia, are they big enough to 50W amp's psu? I'm building two monoblock gainclones for car , psu:s will be ESP project89:s and i have all parts exept toroids, so would these be big enough?

LM3886 gainclones (imo these are not true gainclones, 'cause oroginal gaincard is made with lm3785's, but anyway. And not to mention that smps is not something that fits into true GC). Thanks, i hope i won't get sin binned for this
Old 3rd January 2004, 08:08 AM   #8
subwo1 is offline subwo1  United States
diyAudio Member

ddog, I tend to think that if they are ferite then they should be able to convert 50 watts of power. You just may not know if they have enough magnetic content unless you try.
Old 3rd January 2004, 08:11 AM   #9
ddog is offline ddog  Finland
diyAudio Member

subwo1, thanks, that was fast reply
I'm gonna try today if they are big enough
Old 3rd January 2004, 02:47 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

There is a commonly accepted method for estimating power handling capability of a core. The product of the winding area, Wa, and the core cross sectional area, Ac, as well as the switching frequency give the power handling capability.

Most Core manufacturers provide info on the power handling of their cores Mag Inc is a good example:
http://www.mag-inc.com/ferrites/fc601.asp

Tony

Hide this!Advertise here!