Torrodoil core selection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We wish to design one SMPS DC to DC upconvertor. i.e. 12VDC to +/- 35 VDC @ 5A. for caraudio use.
Want to use use most compact torrodoil core. Guide me what r the most important technical parameters to be seen while selecting the core. The osc. frequency will be 50-65khz.
MP

I wish to use sg3525 ic for SMPS circuit with 65khz osc frequency. I am from India. Here we r unable get torrodoils cores for the above purpose easily. hence i hv to import it from Taiwan or Japan. So looking to analyse & select the proper torrodoil or any oether suitable core.
MP

I would suggest ferite as a good core material. At a given frequency, the size of the core needed generally depends on the mass of magnetic content indicated by the permiability figure. If you use a core with a µ in the 1000 range, I wouldn't expect you to have a problem with core saturation if the size is at least 1 1/2" or 3cm. Admittedly, I just purchase any ferrite cores I find at a good price and try them out to see if they work. One helpful thing is that going to a larger size like 2" does not usually cause a size problem for DIY, but it makes winding and experimenting much easier and also procides more insurance against saturation.

Hi, this is bit threadjacking but so closely related to this i'm gonna ask: I have some ferrite toroids from old computer psu:s, about 1" dia, are they big enough to 50W amp's psu? I'm building two monoblock gainclones for car :) , psu:s will be ESP project89:s and i have all parts exept toroids, so would these be big enough?

LM3886 gainclones (imo these are not true gainclones, 'cause oroginal gaincard is made with lm3785's, but anyway. And not to mention that smps is not something that fits into true GC). Thanks, i hope i won't get sin binned for this :)

hi

i think a ferrite core will work as i have repaired (and am using) - south african - boss - amps which have a somewhat similar dc - dc conv. stage

they have used ferrites and the current after conversion at =- 38 v dc is 8 amps continous ,

i have measured this in my car ,
i have 3 batteries paralleled in my zen about 1 f capacitance and with the car running

i had to install a ac blower to cool the amp !

the ferrites are available in delhi , chadni market , if you enter from the main middle gate facing red fort this shop will be oin your left right at the end of the middle lane ,

its a shop dealing only in ferrites of all types and sizes , including bobbins for loudspeaker passive c/o

by the way the ferrite in my amp is about 1 1/2 inch in dia min 12 mm thick and the coils are wound using around 20 to 25 guage wires

best of luck , hope this helps

suranjan

To design the transformer for this application you need to clearly define the entire range of input and output voltages. Also, it is necessary to decide which circuit topology you are going to use. Different topologies require different transformer design strategies because different amounts of the B-H curve are used. I will assume that you are using a full-bridge. Use Faraday's law and design for around 500-1000 Gauss to keep the core losses low. 750 is a good flux density (B) to pick.

BeanZ

Hi!

First I question why torroid ???? Self shielding properties alone do not carry so much importance here.
Practically all PCs use EE for SMPS conversion.

As far as sources at Delhi visit

MBK Dynamics , 496 Lajpat Rai mkt.

You will get whatever you desire even big torroids, split bobbins for common mode chokes, EEs small torroids for drivers, self solderable wire , tapes, bobbins and so many other stuff.

regards

Rahul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.