Opto-controlled bias

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is an idea for an automatic bias control of a PP output stage.

It has probably been already explored, but here is my take anyway.

I think the schematic is self-explanatory enough; there are two options: bypassed or not.

When the base spreader is bypassed, the behavior exactly mimics that of a conventional circuit, except it is automatic.

If the bypass cap is removed, the circuit operates in real time, and becomes a non-switching class B.

The effect is noticeable in the reduced THD figure. Note that there is some ringing, because I didn't take the care to add any compensation, but these are not difficult issues

Attachments

• OptoCtl1.png
    OptoCtl1.png
    131.1 KB · Views: 756
  • OptoCtl2.png
    OptoCtl2.png
    129.3 KB · Views: 739
  • OptoPwr.asc
    3.9 KB · Views: 102
Nelson Pass has a patent on it. I am sure it can be updated by now. The big Adcom used it. I was thinking about using a IR detector to look at the output transistor case. Maybe a little less lag.

He also has a circuit to compensate for the driver stage so the bias servo using a thermister only had to figure out the output stage.

Basically it is very interesting and I commend your long time efforts on this topic.

However I am non proficent on the simulator and from the schematic I cannot see how it works.
The left side opto couplers have an open output (goes to a-b?) and the right side are even short. They could be replaced by two LEDs for that.
I am sure I miss something, however.

On the general idea I am more concern about the linearity of the OPTO response. Those stuff normally have an output that passes quite sharply from interdition to saturation. Maybe you might have to work with the base pin of the opto transistor, that in this opto model seems exposed.

Nelson Pass has a patent on it. I am sure it can be updated by now.
Interesting, it would be nice to see how he implemented it

However I am non proficent on the simulator and from the schematic I cannot see how it works.
The left side opto couplers have an open output (goes to a-b?)
Yes they're in parallel with R5

and the right side are even short. They could be replaced by two LEDs for that.
I am sure I miss something, however.
Problem with any random LED is that they won't match the characteristics of the active opto.
Opto's come in 4-pack, which means good matching and tracking with temperature

On the general idea I am more concern about the linearity of the OPTO response. Those stuff normally have an output that passes quite sharply from interdition to saturation. Maybe you might have to work with the base pin of the opto transistor, that in this opto model seems exposed.
The linearity is completely irrelevant here, because they arent in the noble path: they're in in an orthogonal control loop having no direct effect on the output

Last edited:
OK, starting to understand now.
The circuit does not thermally compensate for bias, it justs does auto-bias when needed in the crossover region.
U2 and U4 are OK, especially if the 4N25 is a quad pack, good practical idea.
But when is it that the U1 and U3 internal LEDs are not lit?
It seems to me that they are always forward biased with a good current something like (50-2Vled-Vdiode)/10K i.e. about 4mA.
What did I get wrong?
Are the Schottky diodes necessary for the basic functioning of the circuit?

Last edited:
OK, starting to understand now.
The circuit does not thermally compensate for bias, it justs does auto-bias when needed in the crossover region.?
Yes, but of course the automatic bias works against any type of perturbation, thermal included
U2 and U4 are OK, especially if the 4N25 is a quad pack, good practical idea.
The 4N25 isn't a quad, that is just what I had available in the simulator, but in reality quads can be found easily
But when is it that the U1 and U3 internal LEDs are not lit?
When the corresponding transistor passes a sufficient current, they aren't lit, but that's not where interesting things happen: it is when the current becomes too low in any of the transistor: the opto then raises the current to a minimum value, about 180mA as you can see on the real time version
Are the Schottky diodes necessary for the basic functioning of the circuit
No, their role is simply to avoid wasting power whilst keeping a high enough sensitivity not be annoyed by matching or stability problems, but the details are unimportant and, if you build a real amplifier based on this concept, you have to understand how it works and design it from scratch: I used convenient values in my example, but they are certainly far from optimum in many ways

I have used the same Schottky "trick" to keep the efficiency high of a multiple pair CFP output, putting them in parallel to each OP Re.

But using them as in your circuit, I fail to see how the Opto "senses" when the OP is drawing current. With the Schottky in place the maximun voltage variation that it can see is about Vd, so a few hudred mV. It seems to me too less to turn off the internal LED.
I mean U1 LED anode is always at +V1 (or , at least, at +V1 -Vd1) and the cathode of U4 LED is always at -V2, so it looks that U1 always "ON" (output saturated). Withour D1 /D2 and adjusting R3, it should work.
Where am I wrong?
Great concept, BTW.

I have used the same Schottky "trick" to keep the efficiency high of a multiple pair CFP output, putting them in parallel to each OP Re.
When they are across the Re's, they bring serious non-linearities, unless you use some tricks like Broskie's class C.

Here, in the collectors their influence is minimal, through Early effect or similar.
With the opto bias, no emitter resistance is required, which is best for linearity

But using them as in your circuit, I fail to see how the Opto "senses" when the OP is drawing current. With the Schottky in place the maximun voltage variation that it can see is about Vd, so a few hudred mV. It seems to me too less to turn off the internal LED.
I mean U1 LED anode is always at +V1 (or , at least, at +V1 -Vd1) and the cathode of U4 LED is always at -V2, so it looks that U1 always "ON" (output saturated). Withour D1 /D2 and adjusting R3, it should work.
Where am I wrong?
but that's not where interesting things happen: it is when the current becomes too low in any of the transistor: the opto then raises the current to a minimum value, about 180mA as you can see on the real time version

Remove the schottkys if you prefer, they change nothing to the operation of the circuit.
Consider the pair of LEDs as a virtual diff amp, without explicit transistors

here's an alternative recently published in Linear Audio:

Volume 6

Practical Electronic Control of Class AB output stage quiescent current Vol 6
Daniel Joffe

Controlling the quiescent current in class AB output stages has long been the Achilles heel of such amplifiers. Low crossover distortion depends critically on correct and stable quiescent current. Crossover distortion cannot be completely eliminated in AB designs due to the output devices switching in and out of conduction on alternate signal half cycles. The thermal stability of the bias control is also important for reliability of class AB amps with respect to thermal runaway. Daniel Joffe has designed a novel control circuit that prevents output devices to switch off completely, maintaining a small but critical quiescent current over the whole signal cycle. The circuit has no critical elements, uses only low-cost small-signal devices and can be grafted onto almost any amplifier.

How is this going to work without a very big integrator? That 100u across the spreader is very bad for distortion.
No need for integrator, and if you think 100µ is bad for distortion, you have two options: the two extremes, no cap at all and you get NSW class B, or 10,000µ or more: at 2.5V working voltage it is neither big nor expensive

One more thing to consider: with the control active, a capacitor will not be a mere capacitor anymore: if it is too small, its behavior will be modified by the control loop

Hello Elvee. Please show a schematic as pdf so as to print, study and understand this interesting circuit. Thank you.

Not as pdf, but as png:

But I remind once more that the practical details as shown are just a support for the concept: if I implement this scheme in reality (which will probably happen some day), it will be completely different, because circuits that work really well generally tend to be very different from those that are easy to understand like this one.

Finally, one could find a use for the transistors of the unused optocouplers. I havent figured out a really interesting job for them yet, but this deserves more thoughts....

Attachments

• OptoCtl.png
    OptoCtl.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.