VSSA Through-Hole Version by Jason - Page 28 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2014, 04:17 AM   #271
diyAudio Member

Default I would like some

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkuetemann View Post
Excellent. I expect it would have about the same sound as other VSSA variants. The basic topology seems pretty tolerant of little changes and component choices so is character (or lack there-of) doesn't change too much with implementation.

I hope to see a few more builds pop up here too. I like to see what different people do with their builds.
Hi Jason,

I'm not sure where you are in this GB. If I understand correctly you have some PCB's available.

Please shoot me an email if this is the case.

Thanks,
Francois
Old 9th March 2014, 09:56 PM   #272
Rick G is offline Rick G  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Already Done

Jason,
So you don't have to wait to long to see some final stuff.
Here are 2 Pic's of my Previous VSSA's. #1 is with PMI's VSSA & #2 is LC's Orig. VSSA. That one was going to be a dual mono...Never made it... Oh Well.

Your VSSA is going to be just like #1 when i get it done, except it will have a smoked acrylic top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PMI-VSSA.JPG (227.3 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg LC-VSSA.JPG (346.2 KB, 226 views)
Old 9th March 2014, 10:27 PM   #273
diyAudio Member

The acrylic top should be cool, I would like to see that eventually. I just got a set of the Rev 'C' boards almost fully stuffed. Should have outputs this week. I'll get a few pics up myself once they are mounted in a case.
Old 9th March 2014, 11:08 PM   #274
diyAudio Member

I listened to your latest for the last two days. These sound sweeter and sweeter as they break in. Unfortunately I tipped the heatsink over last night and shorted something in one of the channels so now I am back to trouble shooting. I guess I had better start building some cases so these aren't all exposed.
X-BoSoZ, B1 Mezmerize, ESP P101, Symasym, KSA 50 X 2 Aleph-X, Leach Low TIM, Leach Superamp, Dx MKIII, DX Super A, Honey Badger, JLH 1969, Gainclone. FetZilla, Peeceebee X2, VSSA PMI, VSSA jkuetemann, SKA GB150, Ovation nx, Slewmonster with; CFA-XH, Wolverine, Spooky, Symasui, Low TIM hybrid
Old 10th March 2014, 03:33 AM   #275
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by still4given View Post
I listened to your latest for the last two days. These sound sweeter and sweeter as they break in. Unfortunately I tipped the heatsink over last night and shorted something in one of the channels so now I am back to trouble shooting. I guess I had better start building some cases so these aren't all exposed.
Aw, that stinks when something like that happens. At least there aren't too many components to go through but do let me know if there's anything I can try to assist with.
Old 10th March 2014, 03:52 AM   #276
diyAudio Member

Hi Jason

If I can't find it I will certainly be asking for help.. I'm tying up a FetZilla right now so it will be a couple days before I get to it..

Thanks again
X-BoSoZ, B1 Mezmerize, ESP P101, Symasym, KSA 50 X 2 Aleph-X, Leach Low TIM, Leach Superamp, Dx MKIII, DX Super A, Honey Badger, JLH 1969, Gainclone. FetZilla, Peeceebee X2, VSSA PMI, VSSA jkuetemann, SKA GB150, Ovation nx, Slewmonster with; CFA-XH, Wolverine, Spooky, Symasui, Low TIM hybrid
Old 10th March 2014, 08:01 PM   #277
diyAudio Member

I found it. shorted the SKj162. Bummer, I was out of them so I had to rob one from my veroboard Peeceebee. Time to order some more.

Anyway, It's playing great again.
Old 10th March 2014, 09:52 PM   #278
diyAudio Member

Too bad you burned one of the more expensive parts in the little mishap. Glad it worked out for you and glad you like it.
Old 10th March 2014, 10:42 PM   #279
Rick G is offline Rick G  United States
diyAudio Member

Jason,
After more extended listening, i must say it seems to have a more 'Crisper' Hi end than PMI's version. Of course that might be my choice of C11 & C13,as i ran out of the Poly caps & used ceramic?
Anyway, it sounds good.
Old 11th March 2014, 01:22 AM   #280
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
Jason,
After more extended listening, i must say it seems to have a more 'Crisper' Hi end than PMI's version. Of course that might be my choice of C11 & C13,as i ran out of the Poly caps & used ceramic?
Anyway, it sounds good.
I doubt that the decoupling caps would be a major contributor to the sound, but I suppose some small effect may manifest itself. Film or XR7 ceramic should be fine for the purpose.

So, would you describe the 'crisper' high end as a good trait or something to try to 'smooth out'?

Hide this!Advertise here!