VSSA Through-Hole Version by Jason

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• IMG_1112.JPG
    IMG_1112.JPG
    220.3 KB · Views: 471
It sings. Sounds about the same as my other VSSA. Still needs a good burn in & it's final Case.

Excellent. I expect it would have about the same sound as other VSSA variants. The basic topology seems pretty tolerant of little changes and component choices so is character (or lack there-of) doesn't change too much with implementation.

I hope to see a few more builds pop up here too. I like to see what different people do with their builds.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I would like some

Excellent. I expect it would have about the same sound as other VSSA variants. The basic topology seems pretty tolerant of little changes and component choices so is character (or lack there-of) doesn't change too much with implementation.

I hope to see a few more builds pop up here too. I like to see what different people do with their builds.

Hi Jason,

I'm not sure where you are in this GB. If I understand correctly you have some PCB's available.

Please shoot me an email if this is the case.

Thanks,
Francois

Already Done

Jason,
So you don't have to wait to long to see some final stuff.
Here are 2 Pic's of my Previous VSSA's. #1 is with PMI's VSSA & #2 is LC's Orig. VSSA. That one was going to be a dual mono...Never made it... Oh Well.

Your VSSA is going to be just like #1 when i get it done, except it will have a smoked acrylic top. :D

Attachments

• PMI-VSSA.JPG
    PMI-VSSA.JPG
    227.3 KB · Views: 407
  • LC-VSSA.JPG
    LC-VSSA.JPG
    346.2 KB · Views: 399
I listened to your latest for the last two days. These sound sweeter and sweeter as they break in. Unfortunately I tipped the heatsink over last night and shorted something in one of the channels so now I am back to trouble shooting. I guess I had better start building some cases so these aren't all exposed.

I listened to your latest for the last two days. These sound sweeter and sweeter as they break in. Unfortunately I tipped the heatsink over last night and shorted something in one of the channels so now I am back to trouble shooting. I guess I had better start building some cases so these aren't all exposed.

Aw, that stinks when something like that happens. At least there aren't too many components to go through but do let me know if there's anything I can try to assist with.

Jason,
After more extended listening, i must say it seems to have a more 'Crisper' Hi end than PMI's version. Of course that might be my choice of C11 & C13,as i ran out of the Poly caps & used ceramic?
Anyway, it sounds good.

I doubt that the decoupling caps would be a major contributor to the sound, but I suppose some small effect may manifest itself. Film or XR7 ceramic should be fine for the purpose.

So, would you describe the 'crisper' high end as a good trait or something to try to 'smooth out'?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.